Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A wedding-related post.

Our wedding ticker reads: 66 days. Holy cow!!!!!!!!!! :P

After two sessions on the Big Band for Couples, I'm still clueless on how we are going to do our first dance... see, B chose Bless the Broken Road (pop country) - which I love too for our music - but dance-wise, I'm feeling iffy on it. I don't like two-stepping, please!!!! :( Peter (our instructor) better get something easy for us to do - otherwise, we'll look like headless chicken strutting an oh-my-gosh-what-do-they-think-are-they-doing move on the floor! hahaha In fairness, we have learned (and trying to master) the basics of foxtrot, swing and yesterday's new lesson - waltz. Truly, I wished it was rhumba (it's like a ballroom dancing with bellydancing on the side! hahaha) but the other couples were so nice to think of us (B&I) because everyone knew there that we were there for our 'first dance'. Yikes!!!!

But seriously, waltz!?!?!? I remember the days when we would dance in the cotillon. You know, big, fluffy dresses with your equally totoy partner. And, I don't remember it being too complicated then - could it be that I'm sooo old now compared to when I was 18??????? My hunny bunch was so happy giving me a twirl! Geez, I was almost dizzy because he just loves making me do 180 degrees with his hands. Silly bugger! :P

Had other things crossed off the list too:
a. Maple syrup from Quebec is here! (We have to work on this, pronto!)
b. Paid off the entire gowns. The little hitch is that of my other secondary sponsor's fitting garment (hers was late because of the switch in roles) still has not arrived!!! Veluz said she will mail a new one again. Dang, what's with postal offices?!?!?! :(
c. Final balance relayed by Heather re: cake.

Other tasks that we need to do still:
1. Secure marriage license.
2. Meet with Lia re: music then work on misalette.
3. Compile the list of music for Richard H.
4. Compile songs for Bruce - for Saturday.
5. Check if we can still order some more pictures from Tere Q.
6. Talk to Sally re: flower mock up
7. Follow up with the delinquents (men) of their measurements! Poor B is starting to be groomzilla!!!
8. Work on the bamboo stuff for decors (painting love letters)
9. OOT bags and washroom baskets.

So while the list is never done, one thing was final - and that's my dad couldn't come to our wedding day. Thanks to the competent and professional people in DFA - they shut the door to one of my ardent desires, that I walk with my dad to the aisle on the most important day of my life. My dad, who apparently could not be issued a passport because of some idiotic requirement to confirm him being Filipino and not a Chinese citizen - is just too much to handle! This issue has been ongoing (because my dad's files from the NCSO was part of the burned documents) when this agency caught fire several moons ago. Now, he was left with putting the pieces together to prove that he is Pilipino and not Intsik. It didn't matter that his mom is full blooded Bicolana and his dad (while pure Chinese), got married, lived and died in the Philippines and that all of my father's siblings were all Pinoys and one of my aunts now - an American citizen! It doesn't matter too, that he's now retired and receiving pension. OMG, if someone is an "alien", you think the social services would not apply, right? But, NO - dang agency can't give this passport because they doubt his citizenship. How sick is that?!?!?

While the word I got was, it's not like he will never be issued a passport - just humungous number of documents to be filed again (and heck, I'll say it - MONEY!!!!) before a measly passport can be given. OMFG, some system that we have! It's stressful and it saddens us too much. It disappoints me to no end because I know that they've been working on having this issue straightened out - in the clearest, fastest and 'correct' way - (hindi kami naglagay!) and I guess reality bites. Kung may perang pinadulas, pwede. Kung wala, no can do.

Well, I know I can live with it. Afterall, we will go home next year so we can have a chance to see him but I really hope this citizenship issue gets settled soon as we have made the petition for them to join us here permanently. And, maybe, we'll succumb to the system and blindly go with the lagay system if only to get them both here... or not?!?!?!

See, I still believe in doing the right thing - and so are the rest of the family. But, as I write this, I can't help but feel really MAD over those people who think they are doing a good job - not recognizing the whole crapload of work put together to prove my dad's citizenship. Of course, it didn't help too that my sentiments of getting married and having my dad walk me down the altar has been shattered.

1 comment:

flowerdrumsong said...

Ana! ;)

Hay naku, the song is lovely but I don't know how it will fit into that choreography.. our instructor would have opted a big band song (maybe, we can rethink this and choose a Michael Buble, who knows!?!?!? if push comes to shove... hahaha) although I have to admit, we both are having a good time doing the dance lessons - our teacher is veryyyyyy patient! :P (and kami ang pinaka-bata, hahahaha)

yeah, that news about my dad's not getting a passport was a bummer - i cried tons yesterday because all of us (who are now based here) was rooting and looking forward to our day because it will be his first time to see his grandchildren. so, i guess next year na lang talaga...

take care and hope things are great in the wedding prep side! :)