Sunday, July 23, 2006

Snafu-laugh-agus.

Ohhhh... It's scorching hot in what used to be known as a fridge place called Canada. Darn, I'm more coloured now more than ever - this, despite applying SPFs every 15 minutes and putting on a caboodle of SPF25 on my face! Ugh, what can you do, eh? :(

Anyway, I am writing down my take on Lorie and Jason's day. Don't get me wrong - it was beautiful because it was heartfelt (I've never seen a couple cry so many times in the whole ceremony and reception time - to think they are both Caucasians.) I know these two are very sweet lovebirds but I've also seen them in their stern and professional side - so it's refreshing to see two people seal their love and declare it unabashedly.

It was lovely except for the JP (justice of peace, or minister or officiant - same banana) came 15 minutes late - and you know, nobody would NOT have noticed it had the groom didn't march and so did the bride! wooooootttt!!!! We were bewildered because while the groom and his bestman was waiting out front, nobody was up there with them - well, except the pianist. So, all the while, we thought, maybe the commissioner is seated out there - but to everyone's shock - the bride marched, complete with tears and all - but NO OFFICIANT on site! wooooootttttttt!!!! So, yes, they had to have a take 2 on this... march, petal showers, etc.

Good thing, Lorie and Jason are good-humoured, what could have been a total embarassment was saved by the couple's laughter and the pianist, playing along to the tune of a funny sitcom theme. Sheesssssshhh!!! How can the officiant be late for this appointment?!?!?

Well, it's also good that the minister was quite prepared for this ceremony at the very least - the words she used were heartfelt so the couple were always crying and I too, was moved by Lorie's vow to Jason. (It is Lorie's 2nd time at the altar while it is Jason's first.)

Now, came the reception time. Again, I think the couple was just too dang happy with how things went for them (it was quite informal and chaotic...) but I just found it a tad disorganized. They apparently have a receiving line - at the back (doesn't this normally happen in the front where you WELCOME your guests??!!!) of the room, then, people scrambled to find their seats because nobody knows where the registration table is and no one knows when to stand up for pictures or what not. But, like I said, it's lovely - but I guess now that I'm planning the wedding, we know what to avoid because we know how it feels to be guests too.

Now, the Programme. My, oh my... I like the speeches of the family - because you know pretty well that they are speaking from the heart... but, the rest of the other people who came and stood at the mike - well, they were there more to embarass the couple! Someone even made a reference to Jason's receding hairline... ah, hello - what about you, big dabiana who thinks she is pretty enough to say this to Jason?!?!!? I'm sorry but if you are out there to give a speech, give a dang speech - but no name calling! Ugh! The whole toast thing was like an open mic - whoever wants to talk, grab the mike. Equally pathetic was this loud girl in our table who even had to broach the ex-husband of Lorie during her speech. What the ?!?!?!

Hay nakuuuuuuuu - this totally reminds me of the time when everyone just gets married for the heck of it. I know theirs wasn't like that - afterall, they've been together for a good 13 years before they decided to tie the knot... but I just feel a bit disoriented with how the reception came to be... Traditions were observed (cake cutting, bouquet and garter toss) but all for the sake of doing so... I wish there could have been some thought put to it because it has become meaningless - and, people were in dang hurry! WTF... come on, it's a wedding - not a fast food, eat all you can and leave activity!

So, there it was, me and B - all prettified for a good 4 hours for an eat and run activity. We stayed at the very last end of the thing and while it was sweet, I have to say, the program sucks. I can't help but compare my former boss' wedding (Pam and Dane's). Oh, what lovely, lovely brunch wedding too! And they are, by far, my inspiration - if we went this route. Theirs was a picture of a simple, elegant, classy but never hurried wedding.

Church ceremony was solemn yet meaningful. Their brunch reception at the Robinson's Galleria hotel (I heard it's Crowne Plaza now) was tasty, delicious, short but fun and very organized... I guess it helped that Pam's SIL (an ad agency person and the better half of Pam's tv director-brother) was very good with her hosting skills. She did not embarass anyone but it was quick yet fun... We were there for almost 4 hours but I had a great day! It was very beautiful and I told Pam that if I end up doing a brunch reception - I'll pattern it after her day! :)

Anyhow, I think Lorie and Jason are happy anyway with how things turned out, and in the end - that's all that matters.

4 comments:

alynn said...

its hot here in winterpeg (winnipeg) too...we are hoping that rain will come tonite...hehehe...

flowerdrumsong said...

Hey Alynn! :)

Wow, didn't know you're a 'Peg-ger... ;) Welcome and yeah, it's been super hotttttt lately! Worse than Manila because it's dry! And, did I tell you about mosquitoes?!?!?! OMG, don't get me started on this! :(

BTW, where in Winterpeg are you? ;) I have a cousin (and his family) living there!

Take care and hope things get a bit better (weather-wise) in the Central Prairies! :)

alynn said...

hey weng, thanks for the visit ha...it rained today!hahaha...i live in maples pala...d2 rin pala mga cousins mo?naku rami pinoys dito, parang nasa pinas ka...hehehe...take care and enjoy the summer =P

will link u up k?

flowerdrumsong said...

Sure, link me up! :) Love the rains at this time - to keep the dust at bay but rains would also mean mosquitoes galore! :(

Hayyyyy - Canadian living... what can I say?!?!?! :(

Take care and stay away from the bugs! :)