Thursday, July 20, 2006

The good in people. (Part 1 - up to Wedding Bells gals)

In our Religion/Theology class, there is only one point that we have learned since time immemorial, that we are created in the image and likeness of God. Therefore, we are, by nature, GOOD people.

This entry is a small tribute to people who I have met by chance (so yes, this does not include my long-time, real, true-to-life friends and loved ones) but this is my chance to thank the people whose random acts of generosity who I met by virtue of a click, a smile or a hi/hello has truly made a mark in my life. Now, the hard part - where do I begin? Hmmm... since it's as random as it can get - I have to say, it does not follow a pattern - just the first people I have thought out first.

1. Sharon S - who hails in Virginia, USA. Met her in Weddings at Work and I have christened her as my virtual bridesmaid because of all the help that she has been extending to me and B. She was getting brides' opinion via a post showcasing her work (a Save the Date reminder). As I thought she was 'new' to the board, I was eager to help (by giving my .02). When I clicked on her link - my jaw dropped. OMG, these are the works I ALWAYS SEE at TheKnot. Could she be the graphic designer of all those nice stuff I saw back then??? Sent her a private message to thank her for sharing and commend her for the magnificent work she did - and because I was dead curious if she is into designing.

A very humble lass, she said, yes, she does it for fun. Hello??? FOR FUN?!?!?! She can get ultra-rich for the FUN that she's having!!!! Long story short, we exchanged tons of emails because she helped us design our water bottle template, our table tents, and guestsheets. All these for nothing. Zero. zilch. nadda. She celebrated her birthday last Monday - and because I was sick I wasn't able to greet her properly. Her work is tremendous! Her generosity unparalleled. Sharon, if by chance, you read this - B and I are so overwhelmed by the graciousness you extend to us. You are a great friend and thanks a million for the awesome work you are doing for us! :)

2. PinayNewYorker and Ala - I read their blog and even though it's all virtual - I feel that I know them. Maybe because they are true and sincere and helpful in many respects. Their observations, life happenings, emotions and thoughts are for everyone to see - but these two girls have just opened my eyes to far more important things - like valuing one's day and being introspective - and my desire to write again. And, was it coincidental that they both have Jesuit influences? ;)

3. Lia of St. Joe's. I know she's a nice lady and very talented too - but, my heart jumped for joy when she agreed to play my 1-request song, "Panunumpa" for my bridal march. I know lots of musicians tend to be a bit snootty (at least here in Canada) because of all the intellectual property rights associated with it. But, I guess it helped that Fr. Krys knows us and Jan (the secretary) has endorsed us to her - therefore, she was more obliging with playing a piece that is not 'usual and customary' for weddings. Then, when I spoke with her yesterday, I almost tear-ed a bit when she told me, she's soliciting a Pinay friend to even sing it during my march! (I am perfectly fine with just having an instrumental done as long as it's Panunumpa) Whoaaaaaa - totally not expected - but wow, if it comes to fruition, I probably will be bawling my eyes out! We''re meeting them in August to we'll see - but I'm very happy for her going out an extra mile for this! :)

Side note: There Dinna, see why I value your waterproof mascara recommendation??? :)

4. The gals in Zellers. In keeping with the waterproof mascara hunt, B & I decided to go to Zellers for this as I can't find L'Oreal at The Bay. While on the counter, I took out a coupon that says, spend this much $ and get this much points. The girl rang our purchases, $28.15 - so B got himself a Diet Iced Tea and a gum. It was way past what was required but the coupon didn't go thru because it should be before GST. I was like, oh, never mind. We can do away without the extra points. But, the girls did get out of their way and said, oh, you're just a few cents away - we'll record it manually. B & I looked at each other - stunned! Ok, it's no biggie - but when people do that UNEXPECTEDLY - you are taken aback and realize, wow, that's service! :) I should let Zellers (HBC Group) know this because really - these girls are a gem! :)

5. The gals in Weddings at Work who gave inputs (complete with map directions, price range and several options) on my various Manila - quest when I went home last year for my 10-day visit. Let me tell you who they are:

a. Pat (of Aldrich) - she's not a virtual friend because I know her in person - but I think our friendship definitely blossomed in the net and because we both were connected via the site. She did some phone calls for me, watched intently for the parasols and lanterns that I would be needing and offered to even buy some stuff for me - in time for my arrival. OMG, how sweet is that?!?!?! :) I Thank you Pat for making my life less miserable and hectic on my last July 05 visit. I wouldn't be able to get my shortlist done without you! :) And yes, promise - when we come home sometime in 07, we'll definitely hook up! :)

b. Pia (of Aldo) - a gal who went hell and high waters to get me some help with photo/videography in Canada - using the names she had from BC. Pia too, introduced me to Lya Armovit - who I almost got had I had the chance to sit down and have more time in my stay (for my ento gowns.) Very resourceful and talented and now, a resident of Vancouver, yay! :)

c. Autumn (of Eric) - oh, I spent countless messages with her via pm because her gown truly fascinated me! :) And then, I got introduced to Veluz - and I guess, the rest was history. :)

d. Charo (of Jovan) - this gal acted like a go-between for me and Veluz when the going went tough. haha Veluz was swamped with gals who are wanting her service and Charo was my angel in disguise - letting Veluz know that I need my email replies! :) She too, like Autumn had blue motiff - perfect for our periwinkle and silver colours! :)

e. Faye (of Irvin) - another Veluz bride whose postings at the board influenced my decision to get Veluz to do our gowns. Faye is based in New York and yet, her gown was exquisitely executed by Veluz - thanks to webcam and emails. She too, has been very patient in answering my 100000 queries and has definitely helped me narrowed my choices down on gown designers.

f. Milett (of Jojo) - a girl who went all out in giving descriptions after descriptions of locations and places for getting reception supplies and fabric for our gowns. Can't thank her enough for providing me too with price quotes and options for more DIY stuff.

g. Jackie Ko - was I think, the girl who truly discovered Printed Matter - our vendor for the invites. She and I spent countless emails as she has painstakingly described a matted flat printing and her discovery of PM doing invites for as low as Php20.00 - of course, this is before they became very popular! Never saw her again in the boards but I thought I'd let her know that being frugal can definitely translate into something stylish - thanks for pointing me to our invite vendor! :)

6. The gals in Wedding Bells - this is the Canadian wedding board that I go to. These gals definitely helped me source my vendors! :)

a. Leanne - introduced me to my sweetest cake girl, Heather. Thanks to her endorsement and answering my fondant vs buttercream debates - we have become Heather's permanent clients!

b. Toy4Tim - I forgot her real name but she came with lots of research on alcohol consumption + taxes on reception venue.

c. Cesca - this lovely bride (who's Puerto Rican but lives in Texas) gave a very fair piece on who to avoid for cakes! :) Of course, she also has great advise on where to go for makeup. :)

d. Zilla - didn't realize that she was of Filipino descent until I saw her favours - one that reads Thank you, Salamat and something else I think in Polish. Her inputs on where to stay at NOTL were very helpful! :) As well, her feedback on securing VISA for visiting Filipino relatives and friends was the reason why we made sure that invites were sent way ahead - with matching Save the Date magnet. :)

e. ldb, Emma, ljprincess - for providing inputs on honeymoon travel; Emma for being so nice in giving us details on Europe (but we won't push thru with this - sob!!!) and Lisa (ljprincess) for thr complete rundown on the how-to's of waterbottle. Hers was my inspiration - and she was very, very generous with scrapbooking places in Calgary.

4 comments:

Faye said...

hi, weng! this post was nice of you to especially thank those people. i'm sure they are also happy that they can be of help to someone like yourself. how are you? take care...

flowerdrumsong said...

Faye! :)

Hey, tuloy po sa aking munting mundo! hahaha :) Thanks for dropping by! You know, it's funny because you are one of those people in my list here!!! :P Actually, you and a few other Veluz's brides... so ayan, spoiler talaga ha! ;)

Watch out for it... I'll hop first to Pat's blog because I owe her a recipe that I'll type on to her space..

Am good - toxic with wedding preps but thankful at the same time dahil matatapos na rin ang walang hanggang preparasyon! :P

Take care and talk to you later. :)

Pat said...

Weng!!!

People are good to you because you're so nice and good too. Thanks for sharing the recipes and for being concerned about my eating habits.

-pat

flowerdrumsong said...

Pat! :)

Awwww... thanks for being such a sweetheart... I do think I'm normally nice but you know me too that I can be a b!tch sometimes when the wrong buttons are pushed - hahaha (tao lang po!!!) ;)

Hey, don't forget to really try out the recipes ha! Then let me know if you and A liked it! :) Do say hello to Ms. Binggay too! ;)