
Calgary Stampede. A week of frenzy and excitement as the city celebrates it's annual nod to the great Western heritage of Canada. Rodeo, chuckwagons, beer gardens, free Coca-cola concert stage, Nashville North artists and a whole caboodle of art exhibits and rides plus the ATCO Theatre is by and far, what constitutes Stampede. For more info, please visit - http://calgarystampede.com
It starts with the Parade on the Friday - the 7th. And, for the first time in 3 years, I decided to give back and volunteered. I was at work by 6:20am making sure that I have my 'host' badge, am garbed in the best western wear I can find (thanks Winner's for the cheap RL top - one can still look stylish despite the usual denim wear!! haha) and yes, eating stampede breakfast (pancakes, sausages, bacon and a drink - mine was apple juice!) ;) I was ticket seller for the breakfast and it was toxic yet fun! :) The weather was perfect parade weather. Breezy yet sunny. Next year, we will make sure to take the days off so we can enjoy the day without being rushed.
At 10am, I decided to get back to work (although we're not expected to be at our stations till 1pm) because all the marks needed to be released and heck, am still getting last minute changes for the students' grades. NICE...... not!!! :(
Saturday was our lazy/chore day. Woke up early at 7am and started making Peter Pancakes from ESBM - complete with fresh strawberry sauce! ;) It's stampede breakie without the heartbreaking calories!!! :P Dashed off to R's place for my highlights retouch and B's haircut - and hello - he wanted highlights too! hahaha Late lunch was at Boston Pizza then I went on to doing laundry while B went off to see Fernando for a game of pool at Eau Claire. We went to Mass at 5pm to see a full pack of tourists from MI (from the Catholic school marching band!) :)
Had a loooooongggggg chat with Q. My long lost gf who now hails in TN. We must have chatted a good 3 hours on the phone! hahaha Miss her too much - and how nice it is to be able to speak to her despite a 7 year absence! We lost touch for a while because she's been too much of a career girl while she thought that after my brief visit to Canada in 2000, she thought I decided otherwise and stayed in Manila for the rest of the time. I told her I had to face my crossroad and decided to jump in and tried Canada for a change - and of course, everything else is history. :)
Sunday was our fun day. Well, it could have been The Devil wears Prada Day - but I told B, no, let's make it our Stampede Day. :) Last year, he didn't go because I was in Manila for my gf's wedding. So, we truly made up for it this year... watched that world famous SuperDogs activity, wandered in the mid-way, ate corndog and little donuts and burgers (waaahhhhhhh - there goes all the discipline on healthy eating!) and won a few prizes here and there, and visited RoundUp for the wonderful exhibits - and to cool off from the heat! hahaha Slept a good 2.5 hours despite the thunderstorm... It was mom's birthday too so had a brief chat with her on the phone as she narrated how nice of a dinner she had (at Via Mare) with my folks.
Monday. Back to work!!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment