When I experience people, I learn more and it forces me to get introspective about my life. Yesterday, I lunch-ed out with a good friend - who is really like an older brother to me. D & I went to Moxie's and talked about home and work life. D's SIL got married (for the 1st time) in the Philippines - and she's a golden girl. Yes, you read it right. 50. D and his family respect her decision but one can't help but guess on the motive of the guy (their now BIL) when there has been a lot of inconsistencies on the things that he has disclosed. In short, everyone was wondering if this is another one of those GREEN card stories. The guy has not learned to live alone (yes, he still lives with his parents at 45!!!) and in a short span of time (4 months), despite not seeing each other in real life, managed to propose and they did tie the knot on the 5th month. Incredible, isn't it?
Relating that to our own love story, while B&I met online, we had the opportunity of getting to know one another. We talked incessantly and everyday on the phone before we decided to meet up. We had tons of Q&As and no-nonesense talks that by the 3rd month, I can truly sense that B will propose and he did so - going to our 4th month of being together. Long distance does work - but a lingering thought of, "do you know him/her enough to commit to forever?"- is just something I probably can't sleep soundly about every night. I, like D, hope that Ate M did the right thing. Love knows no bounds anyhow, right?
Then, as if this e-love stories are just about the theme of my Wednesday, I got to speak to one of my gfs last night who's based in Manila. She's having this long-standing YM relationship towards her co-worker who is just 3 tables/desks apart! Now, is that sick or what?!?!?! I tried to be as honest and straightforward as possible. I could not encourage that kind of 'relationship'. She, obviously, is smitten over this guy - who probably is just flattering himself with his big ego seeing that my poor friend is ga-ga over him. I told A, c'mon - you're a smart, pretty girl - get a freakin' life! Is there really a big shortage of emotionally, spiritually, financially, socially available guy in the PI??? If a man is not able to exert more effort to show you how much he cares, he does not care about you for any single, tiny bit. I firmly believe that if a guy truly has a liking for you, he can make a way to let you know about that. Anything less than that is simply flirting - and unless, you are suave about it, you can get flamed for nothing! Waste of time, if you ask me.
B was one of the 3 men I was dating before - and I must say, among them - B was just not the most persistent, but also, very consistent and sweetest of them all. No pretenses yet always gentlemanly. I ditched the other 2 and dated B exclusively. The rest was history. In many ways than one, I was affirmed that HE'S THE ONE and I didn't see stars, heard cymbals or experienced meteor showers when I came to that conclusion. It was divine intervention for sure and a knowing heart that whispered that sweet truth. :)
On a separate note, I'd like to tackle domestic duties. In one board, someone was polling opinion on how do you divide chores. Gah! Bases range from income, to expertise, to who has time, etc... In our household, we practice teamwork. It's not one or the other - if we do succumb to this set up, it's because one is feeling sick or had to attend to an errand, etc. And yes, we do everything by ourselves! No manang, no manong. B does the laundry, irons clothes and cleans the washroom too - no ifs, not buts. Well, except that I do mostly of the cooking - but he's best at the baking department!
This leads me to a corrolary point. Some people can't live without househelp - and for someone like me (and possibly, a good % of people who has always lived in PI), this has become a shock to the system when I transplanted in the Great White North. But, it wasn't too long when I came to realize that I liked it better without a househelper. I don't need someone to pick up my mess or water the plants or fold my clothes. I guess, it is a different story if you have kids and you live in a 2-income home. But, that's why you have nannies and these esteemed caregivers should not be treated like a slave or mistrust/mistreat them. I can't believe that some people think that because they are ONLY katulong, that they are bad or lowly people.
I wonder though, do they pay SSS (the equivalent of the SIN in Canada) for their manong/manang? Do they pay a good wage such that even these katulong can afford some luxury as going to a movie, having some extra monies to go to Baclaran and buy a few new clothes? Do they provide them with health insurance? Do they make them sit on the table with them during supper? Do they get bonuses for a hard day's work? Are they allowed holidays? I ask these questions because, "employers" always say -" but we treated them like they are family"... My question, REALLY?????? If you answered to even JUST one of these questions - congratulations! If not, I hope they'd re-think what their standards are for justiying their whining.
I see lots of caregivers in Canada. And for the most part, they all will probably answer YES to all the questions I asked here. When we used to have household helpers, those questions were YES-es except for health insurance. They think the money they get is enough to get them by if they get sick. Besides, if they do get sick, we shoulder the expense - because we think of them as family. Now, I'm not tooting our horns. We're just stating facts - because I hear people talk and say, ohhhhh - back home, we have a yaya-driver-gardener-cook... yadda, yadda, yadda...
Talaga ba??????
Thursday, June 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I have a totally unreleated question.
If you are Tagalog speaking, why do you use "manang" and "manong"?
I can understand ilonggo (from Bacolod!) perfectly but speak it very badly. I can barely understand Tagalog. I thought "Manang" and "Manong" were ilonggo terms.
Educate me! :)
-Lor
Hey Lor! :)
Yikes, I think I confused you on this one! :( Manang or Manong is normally an address to elders like Aunt or Uncle or Older Sister or Older brother.
In this blog, I used 'manang or manong' loosely in the context of a household helper/caregiver. Back home, someone who works for us (as a household helper) and is middle-aged or older is being addressed as Manang or Manong.
So when I wrote here that there is no manang or manong, I meant that in Canada, (and between B and I), we don't use any servants (or do we treat each other like servants).
Clear as mud???? :P Hey, I didn't realize that you're Ilonggo/Bacolodnon!!! ;) My roots are from Iloilo!!!
Post a Comment