Thursday, June 22, 2006

Angels and babies.

So I'm trying to see the positive things in life. And a few days ago, B&I talked about how there are some strange things in our lives that we can't explain (good and bad) - and that, in many ways than one, there seems to be a common thread that binds things together - and that's faith and love of God. (Yes, we do talk philosophical things ya know!) :)

Angels. Who are they and how do you know that they are one? It's the soul that recognizes it because to find one is not a common occurence. We do find that there are people we meet who suddenly gives you a better perspective in life, someone who totally gives you a new insight on a particular instance or someone who just affirms that there is a God - who knows your hearts desire, bigger than any problems, and one who sees everything you do. They might be your friend, colleague, mother, sister, brother, your noisy neighbor in disguise - in fact, they can be anyone. But, I'd like to focus on one encounter I had probably about 8 years ago.

I thought it was a total depiction of that (religious) book I read "God on a Harley" because this man I met was perched on his motorbike in that wee hour of the morning somewhere in Quezon City. And in the Philippines, on a hot March day, to find one who is all suited up in leather on a motorbike, is a definite rarity.

Anne and I were crusing that big area in QC after we dropped off our friends in Antipolo. We came from a party and had a few tequila. I swear, we are responsible citizens and are totally sober. My friend and I, having been very close university gfs for a long time, were comparing notes about l-o-v-e or the lack of it. We're both religious and we came to a very intense talk (well, more like a vent out session) on how come people like us just don't get the right man in our lives. In short, at some point of our convo, we challenged God's purpose and wonder if He has forgotten about us - 2 goodytwoshoes kinda gal - who always get hurt in their love affairs.

Then, it happened. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw a man in white shirt, crisscrossing his way among the big buses and finally slammed head on into the car. Anne's car. The windshield was shattered to pieces and there he was, face down on the driver's side, barely breathing. Anne and I were stunned. What happened? It's as if the world stopped for a minute.

I had the first instinct of getting out of the car and praying, God, don't let this guy die on us! Please. I remembered muttering the prayer under my breath, while telling Anne that it's ok and checking her out if she sustained any wounds. People swarmed at us and we asked for help. We are not bad people - we intend to bring the guy to the hospital!

Then came a man dressed in full leather suit and a white shirt. He was on a motorbike. People stood there watching until this guy said, "Help the women". We managed to get this man, reeking with alcohol stench, to the back of the car. Anne, still in shock, couldnt' move. I hugged her and told her, we need to drive him to the nearest hospital. We got to that Malvar Clinic (which I never knew existed before despite the usual commute in QC). The drunk guy was ok despite some broken bones on the rib cage and on his legs. We left some money because we want to report the incident to the police. I guess it helped a bit that I worked in the insurance business - the protocol was very clear in my head (heck, I was in the policy & procedures committee for claims!) all of a sudden. This is a VA - so we want things straight as it can get nasty - as we have seen in the movies. Someone sues for big money, or you get incarcerated. Incidentally, the man in white shirt in motorbike was there again. I don't remember why - but I think he gave some statement to the attendant.

At Crame, we asked for the police to help us file the incident. Anne this time, was bawling her eyes out - scared that she might get jailed for the first time in her life. I was hugging her tight, telling her what I recollected of the event and the fact that the guy was drunk makes for a good case against him. Then, I voice chirped, "Hindi ninyo kasalanan." (It wasn't your fault") It was the same guy in the motorcycle. He was looking at us and that soothing voice, gave us the calmness we needed. I asked, did you see what happened? He just looked at me, and said, YES. He looked serene - and yet, knowing. He did not say many things, but his expression is one where you just get some sense of peace. Anne then, found someone to hear her statement and I stayed in the windshield-broken car. I saw the guy in white shirt turn away, about to ride his bike again. I went after him, and he stopped. I asked what his name was. He just said, plainly - Jun. I looked at him and said, Thank you, Mr. Jun. He nodded, smiled, and left.

Anne was not charged at all. The man recovered after he has been confined for a good 3 days. Tita M (anne's mom) made sure that there will be no more money-grubbing thing that will happen seeing that it's not our fault.

But, one thing was stuck in our heads. Who was that guy - who followed us all throughout our ordeal??? Who is Mr. Jun and why was he there at the right place, at the right time? It's intriguing that he had that knowing look - as if he knew all along what has happened before this flash of event transpired. And his voice and gentleness, it was a quiet, stern voice that made one realize that what he has to say must be true. See, he didn't touch anyone. But, he has 'command'. It was one of a kind - he did look ordinary. He looked Pinoy, actually - with a small moustache. But, that aura of calm has not escaped my memory. They say that angels are tall. I believe that - and they ride motorcycles. That was a total angel moment. And it taught me one thing, that God hears. And, if you do question Him, it's very possible, He'll respond - in a strong, you-will-not-ever-forget this happening-way.

On a separate note, I'd like to blog about one of my dear friend's joy. "I"'s wife K, has delivered a baby boy last May 26th. Elias Joaquin (yes, the namesake of my nephew!) apparently has strong lungs (his dad said, if the crying spiels are any indications of it!) and is healthy. Congrats to the M's!!! :)

2 comments:

JoobJoo said...

Hi! I am Pia's friend and just wanted to say that is a great story. Some people can really surprise you and leave you with such hope that there would be more like them out there.

flowerdrumsong said...

Hi Meliza,

Dropped by your blog too - and I have to say, you ask such difficult questions! :) Thanks for reading the story. Sometimes, when I'm in the thick of things, I try to think of the good stuff - and this one, is something I want immortalized - albeit, in a blog. Angels watch over us; moreso, God SEES and HEARS everything in us. :)

Take care!