I'm blogging this so that anyone who would come across my blog would know that there is such a thing like this in the internet!!!
This is the email I sent today to my friends and loved ones. You bloggers out there, take heed. Identity Theft is REAL.
********~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~****************~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~********************
Hello families and friends,
This a first-hand account because this one came straight from my inbox! If you see this kind of a mail in your inbox (it was not classified as spam) – DON’T RESPOND!!! See that link (Electronic Access Agreement) in blue – that one will take you to asking info etc. etc. – which I did not click because my first reaction was: WHY WAS I GETTING AN EMAIL IN MY PERSONAL EMAIL????? If I have any questions with my bank, I use the Message Centre in my online banking access – not thru hotmail or yahoo or gmail.
Remember Identity Theft? This is a CLASSIC! If you read what it said here, blah, blah, blah – May 31st. Duh, it’s the 6th of June now – so this one is expired (if you thought it was true!) And, at the start of every day, I try to check my balance (ok, am paranoid, what can I say?!?!!) to see if there’s anything unusual with my accounts. And, hello – I checked today and got thru my online banking without a hitch – so clearly, this email is fraudulent!!!!
Things to remember to be able to detect a fraudulent email (from what I can recall):
1. Check the spelling. Most are using incorrect grammar. This email was done in perfect English though, so wow!!!!!! I almost got duped!)
2. Double check the sender’s name. The writer of this email was: customers@rbcroyalbank.com – weird!!!!!! My bank does not use rbcroyalbank.com – it uses xxx@rbc.com ß there’s your cue!
3. The body of the message is doubtful. Sending a LATE reminder????? When do BANKS ever do this???????
4. The clincher: Look at the line (I highlighted them for you in RED) – now, this is really something that will make you ring the sound alarm! REVIEW and CONFIRM YOUR ACCEPTANCE to the terms of blah, blah, blah… BANKS don’t do this – because they have a SECURE site and things should be better done in the confines of this secure site!
The contact number is legit though. And I did phone the number and asked for the risk management email. Ugh! Some people’s children don’t have anything else to do! I reported this email and I’m hoping the Joe Blow person doing this can be captured!
So please be careful! There might be TONS of email that’s proliferating the net right now – that can be damaging to your identity, finances and of course, security.
Please be vigilant.
W (M)
*********************~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*********************************
Important Notice
Since its launch in 1996, RBC Royal Bank Online Banking has provided an increasing variety of convenient online services.
The Electronic Access Agreement governs the use of Online Banking.
In order for you to use the online services available through Online Banking, you must review and confirm your acceptance of the Electronic Access Agreement by 31 May 2006.
We ask you to take the time to review and confirm your acceptance to the terms and conditions of the Electronic Access Agreement.
Electronic Access Agreement <--- DO NOT CLICK THIS!!!!!!!!
Please note: Should you choose not to accept the terms and conditions of the Electronic Access Agreement before 31 May 2006, you will be unable to sign-in to Online Banking and otherwise use the online services after 31 May 2006.
We value your business and look forward to providing you with convenient services through RBC Royal Bank Online Banking.Please contact us at 1-800-769-2555 to clarify any questions or concerns you may have.
Tuesday, June 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Ana! :) I can totally relate! We shred EVERYTHING that has our names and addresses. Better to be safe than sorry!!!
How's UK these days? It's gloomy out today. Ugh! :(
Take care and talk to you later. :)
Post a Comment