Yesterday ushered the Holy Week. Palm Sunday. Araw ng Palaspas.
The bulletin that we have from St. Joe's also had an interesting note at the back-page. It was Christ's obituary. I will edit this post tonight and see if I can still salvage this bulletin and copy what was written there.
It was a neat take on how His (earthly) family would have written the facts on Jesus' life. Out of the things that were written there, the last line captured my attention. I remember it said, "In lieu of flowers, we instead, request that everyone follow the life Jesus lived. For donations, give them to those who may need it".
The request (in lieu of flowers) seem simple. But is it?
How do you follow someone who's perfect? How do you follow someone whose love is so immense - He sacrificed himself on the Cross for our salvation? How do you show love to enemies and forgiveness to those who hurt you? Yesterday's Gospel painted a picture of Christ being spat at, ridiculed, yet He remained gentle - meek as lamb. Such humility, such passion, and yet - not one bit of hatred. Sure, He was human enough - didn't He also question God while He laid on the Cross in Calvary? "Eloi, eloi, lama sabachtani?". But yet, He also had great faith - "Father, into Thy Hands, I commend my Spirit."
Jesus Christ's life is the ultimate model for humanity and spirituality. I wish I can do even just a small centimetre of his works.
Like for example, the present "pinch" we are experiencing. After Ranger said his adieus, now - we have a car that's less than desirable. Although B's dad had put in tons of work on it, I was shocked to see that it's not as 'nice' as I thought it was. B&I almost had a big debate yesterday because it did look like it needed a facelift. So, they were able to test drive it in QEII Highway yesterday (from Edmonton to Calgary) and it went well. But, this Pontiac needed a lot of major facial surgery (to say the least). It does run but with hubcaps missing and some rust on the driver's door - I was aghast! And I can't help but express it - am human afterall!
I hurt B's feelings. I apologized. I can't even open the dang door! Not that it won't open - I just didn't know the trick that went with it! :( I know he's adamant on putting more work on it. We both decided we won't buy a new car because we would rather have a downpayment for our OWN house than get a new vehicle. So, we're sticking to that.
But really - after some reflection - I did feel ashamed over how I reacted. If I was alive in Jesus' time, we won't even have cars. We will have camels or donkeys! And, the Lord - in all his glory - didn't expect a big, fancy stuff either! He was happy to be welcomed by a crowd. I'm sure He would have opted to walk because He sees past outside 'beauty'.
I guess we all forget how trivial our concerns are when we get the easy access to life. I do. And because of such, I'm determined to live within our means - because we have a different sacrifice that we are looking at. For now, we will strive to be on our Sunbird that will carry us to points A&B - even up to Z. I guess, "I" just have to remember that when we understand why we are doing this, the pain of the sacrifice is worth it.
Lord, teach me to look at things with your eyes. I know I sometimes fall blind to the truth. And you are Truth. Lord, help me to see. Amen.
Monday, April 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment