Yesterday, while getting my day started and was logging on to the web platform for the students, my eyes caught the word..."Philippines".... in MSN.ca
Naturally, I clicked on it. Leyte disaster and expected death toll: 1500.
Southern Leyte, rural, desolate, poor. My heart breaks while reading what's on the news. Mudslides triggered by rains caused the small town to get wiped out - including a small elementary school. Children, women, young, old... buried... some alive...some still missing - as of presstime...
http://news.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/World/ContentPosting.aspx?contentid=68550a183ee6470ca2291a121891222a&show=True&number=5&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc
All of GlobalTV (National and Local) had the replays of this sad news... and this prompted Chrys to phone me (frantically) in the office... Chrys is B's sister in law and she's very alarmed that there might be someone I know who figured in the tragedy...
I calmed her down and told her that my people are not based in the Southeastern part. So, we're safe... That was genuinely nice of her...
But in my mind, do you say, Thank God? Because I don't have any relatives who figured in that accident? Because they're not my immediate relatives?
Today, I prayed for those who perished... those who painstakingly were working in their small farms, tending for themselves... Rest in peace, kabayan.
Saturday, February 18, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment