So, if you guessed that it was a calzone - it's wrong. It does look like a calzone but it's not italian worthy yet. ;) If you thought that it was empanada - it's quite close assuming the shape, right? If you guessed that it was a turnover - well, you're right on! :)
Last Friday when hubby had his gastroscopy, we stayed home with his mom first because he can't drive right away as he was sedated. I was lying on the couch when I turned on Ina G's Barefoot Contessa show and she was making an apple turnover. It was so simple and easy - that my mind went 1000000000 km/hr thinking if I still have my Granny Smith apples and lemons. She did hers with a pastry dough and omg, how freakingly easy it was - I decided that I'll buy the dough on the weekend.
In Superstore, I could not find the dough that was similar to Ina's. I did see rows of phyllo dough but not THAT pastry dough I was looking for. Finally, I found Tenderflake's dough. I guess I wasn't paying attention to the label - I just looked at the picture and it read, puff pastry dough. Didn't dawn on me that a puff pastry is not necessarily JUST your run-of-the-mill pastry dough.
Worse, when I opened it - and here I was - expecting that the dough would be rectangular in shape and something that I can 'unwrap' like a phyllo, all I was faced then was just 2 blocks of dough. Imagine a small book that is about 5 inches in thickness. I'm like - what the heck?!?!?!
So, I re-read the label again. Darn, no other instructions - except to thaw it overnight. Ugh! What in the world will I do with it now!?!!? I was cursing under my breath - wishing that I should have just made the dough myself and used the new french rolling pin I got from WA.
Determined that I should be able to find my way with this '2 squared-dough', I decided to cut the dang thing in 6 equal sizes and I rolled it to a round dough. (I was hoping I'd get it into a square shape because I wanted triangle-shaped turnovers. *sigh*) And, silently praying that all the cut-up apples will "cook" as I have enough to make 10. Geez!!!!
I rolled the dough and tried to make it look like an empanada. And voila, my croissant-to-the-touch, empanada-shaped turnover was born! :P
My ever-grateful hubby indulged on it. And, even if it was 'crusty' (remember, it's a puff pastry!!!) B obliged. In fact, he thoroughly enjoyed it - he ate it with the frozen yogurt! :)
I guess sometimes, there are just some mistakes that are not too bad to bear. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment