Saturday, November 25, 2006

Puto (steamed muffin) anyone?


Recipe copied from cooks.com (see below).

I finally got around to making it after craving it for more than a week! The first batch I made was unsuccessful because the muffin papers I used were not sturdy enough so the muffins collapsed right in the steamer. :(

Thankfully, our new heart-shaped silicone pan was just lying around the kitchen and quickly realized that I probably can use it. And it did the trick for sure! ;)

I had enough baking for now. I can wake up later tomorrow as we surely have breakfast made. :) Love the puto!!!
**********************************************************
Here is the puto recipe I got from cooks.com. I call it the 'cheaters' puto because it's not made from the real rice grains. If you check the site: www.cooks.com - you can type in their recipe search (puto) and you will get a good number of recipes. I used this one (there's probably about 8 recipes there) because I have all the ingredients on hand (except for the grated coconut).

Also, I used buttermilk* instead of just the regular milk because I had them in the house. My sister used powdered skim milk before and it also tasted good (as far as I remember, lol).

If you are not so fond of a 'sweet' puto, you can just use 3/4 c. of sugar. I followed the recipe to the dot for the first time and while it's very good, I find it a bit sweet - but B loved sweet - so there you go. ;)

For melted butter, just scoop in 2 tbsps of butter (I used non-hydrogenated margarine) and heat it in the microwave for about 15 seconds. Pour this in the batter.

Remember, if you have just the usual muffin paper, DON'T USE THAT! I wasted about half of my batch using 8 of the big muffin papers and it spilled on the steamer. :( If your steamer is big enough to accommodate your muffin pan, that's good - you can pour your mixture right in the pan, but if not, you can use the little pans where you bake your souffle on. Sorry, not good with descriptions! :( Basta, yung maliliit na parang bowl pwede yun gamitin. :) Enjoy!!! :)

PUTO (STEAMED MUFFINS)

2 c. Bisquick mix
2 eggs
1 c. white sugar
1 1/2 c. milk*
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. melted butter
Grated coconut

Blend all ingredients; stir until smooth. Fill muffins pans 2/3 full with mixture.
Steam for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the puto comes out clean. Serve with grated coconut.

Cooking time: 30 minutes. Makes 18 medium-sized puto.

5 comments:

Marj and Carlos said...

That puto looks sooo yummy!

flowerdrumsong said...

Marj! :)

Yeah - sarap kahit I cheated and just used Bisquick! hahaha I was craving for it so bad that I just have to have one! ;)

alynn said...

pa-share naman ng recipe para may makain si hubby pag punta ko ng sing...hahaha!

alynn said...

thanks sis! wish me luck...hahaha...naku, mas colder pala dyan?dito kasi -12 pa lang pero nagblowing snow na...huhuhu

Lala said...

Ma-try nga one of these days. Pwede i-steam using ramekins? Yehey, dami ako nun!