Saturday, November 25, 2006

An ESBM* Saturday.

B had to go to work today to finish their Department's inventory. He left at 6:45am and I couldn't get back to sleep - so I thought it would be best if I start my day as there's lots to do!!!

So, I opened the fridge so I can have my breakie. There are tons to choose from - the Vietnamese siopao we got from T&T supermarket, rye bread toast with Greaves jam, and the corned beef that I still couldn't finish. See, I don't like wasting. Thus, my breakfast was an easy choice - corned beef and basmati rice with my Soya Milk - and yes, it's the chocolate one - finally! Dang Superstore ran out of the chocolate variety last Sunday so we went back last Thursday because I can't stand the regular one!!!

I started on the bedsheets and the whole crapload of clothes - yikes, today will definitely be a household chores day. I organized a bit the toiletries we got from last Thursday and went back to looking at the stuff in the fridge.

My "Safeguard"-conscience was telling me (do you remember this old ad before!?!??! lol) - Cook up the chicken!!! I had it out last Friday and only managed to use 1/4 of the whole pack. See, eversince I got here in Canada, I guess I got really paranoid with e-coli, salmonella and all other bacteria you can think about. B though, is worse than me! hahaha

I whipped up an easy tinola. If you see it, you'd probably ask, where's the chicken? hahaha I only use a few (today I used 4 big chunks) and I load my tinola with greens. Bokchoy (pechay), snow and sugar peas, and another green that looked like mustasa - all because we need to have greens and I'm not fond of just cooking them stir fry. In less than an hour, I have my chicken soup (tinola).

Now, there are probably 10 more chicken breasts left. So, I thought I'd take out my trusty ESBM cookbook (Eat, Shrink and Be Merry*) as it's been awhile since I did something out of it. The Jamaican Me Hungry (carribean jerk-style chicken) was my choice this time. I have all the ingredients - right down to the ground allspice and jalapeƱo peppers - so, I happily made the marinade and all of the chicken is now gone. Yay!!! :)

And, as if I have nothing else to do, I decided to clean up the freezer and found one pack of crabmeat and some of our leftover phyllo pastry. Flipping thru the pages of ESBM, it yielded a crabmeat recipe but it was asking for Pillsbury's crescent rolls - which I don't have! :( But, I have the phyllo pastry so I should be okay.

Tartlett O'Hara (crabmeat appetizer in 3 cheese - parmesan, sharp cheddar and cream cheese) sounds pretty intriguing and easy. So, that's what I whipped! Initially, I just wanted a full phyllo cup to it, but I don't have enough. So, out came the baguette which I toasted with the crabmeat filling to make it look like a crabmeat crustini! hahaha

B came home while I'm in the kitchen and he gamely tried the crustini as he thinks it looks very appetizing. lol See, he is not fond of crabmeat but he thinks that what I whipped up is pretty good! ;)

I have a few recipes to try as I've been craving Pinoy food lately! So, I'll do that later and let's see if it's going to be delicious. lol

No comments: