Thursday, August 24, 2006

Another year wiser...

I turned a year old last Tuesday... and B was bugging me that as of Tuesday, I'm officially 7 years older than him till he turns a year older on the 2nd of September. BRAT! :P

I find it funny that people equate your age to (1) existence - "Do you feel older"? (2) health and anatomy - "Notice anything different with you today?" (3) state of being - "Do you feel happy today?" (4) wealth/social status - "Where are you off to; "Anything (extra) special B is doing for you?"; " Where is dinner? Anything fancy?"; "What's B's gifts?!?!?!"

So really - I don't take offense to these questions. For one, I think they're small talks that meant to elicit a good camaraderie. The ones who truly know me though have meaningful (and sometimes, profound) questions:

"Did you get what you pray for - for your birthday?"
"Do you have any special wish for your day?"
"Are you spending it with B or with your family?"
"Did God reveal anything special for you today?"

Notice the difference? Yes, the ones I consider meaningful are those that have spiritual tones to it. Why is that?!?!? The answer is simple. My joy is not with getting all the blings or the fancy dinners or the flowers or the travel - it's rooted in something deeper. Like family, like having intimate get-togethers, like getting a special 'message' in a prayer time - like peace (not fuss!) and having long-distance friends calling me (and spending a huge amount of money!!) to phone me in Canada.

I always know that my true friends are not concerned with what I'll get (materially) and the lavish display of stuff - but would be concerned if I am surrounded by love and affection on my special day.

And I am thankful to the Lord because He blessed with YES-es to all the answers on the 2nd set of questions.

My day started with my B waking me up to his cuddle and soft kisses. He greeted me HBD and was tickling me to death so I can wake up! hahaha. At 6:15am, my mom phoned me (she knows that we go to work early so phoned in early too) to greet me. When I checked my cellphone, the time stamp shows 11:55pm (aug 21 in Canada), my sister from Manila sent her greeting as well.

At 7:15am, my Universityand good friend Karen called and wished me all the beautiful blessings of God. We talked for almost half an hour in my cellphone. At 8:00am, I got another overseas phone call from Trinky - another close friend - who really wanted to go to our wedding too - and we were playing catch up for a bit.

When I checked my hotmail email, I have various messages from my co-workers from Ayala - starting with my kumareng Jane. Then, E-en, John and Au-dee. My favourite Ayala boss - RPS never forgot too. He wrote me a short note with a small wish - and I feel sad that he can't stay until our wedding day. It would have been fun if he was around! Meya, my other favourite boss (who's like a sister to me) from Ayala - sent me her warm wishes for both my birthday and our forthcoming wedding.

From my yahoo account, I got several friendster messages. Starting from Grace (who's now a licensed pharmacist and is based in SK), Arlene, Me-Ann, Abbie (one of my favourite staff!), Sheila, Erwin, Eds (my gay fag-hog who I sorely miss!!!) and my cousins Mark and Lovelynn. Then, I was flooded with equally more greetings from my friends in Lingkod - particulary ZARY! Who by the way, I have not spoken to for a year - because he was busy as a bee!!!! Baby, Christine L, Kuya Ron, Romy, Pep & Rico were all there in one thread of birthday messages. :P

Pat also sent me a nice email - verifying first if it's really me who celebrated my day! ;) Friendster is deceiving Pat, eh? :P

At noon-ish, I got a phone call from Angelica. One of my best friends who can't come to the wedding because of her condition - we talked LOTS!!!!! And of course, one of my girls (in the entourage), Malet.

When we got home, S (B's mom) left me a message and C (B's sister in law) phoned too. This was a pleasant surprise for sure! ;) B always told me that C likes me as sister in law. Hmmm.. I like her too - but not her controlling attitude. ;)

In the mailbox, I found a small package from my friend from Ontario. OMG, how very sweet! It's actually something for our wedding - but I totally was not expecting anything. This sweet gal has just started working for Timmie's and I know that every cent counts. But, wowwwwwww - I'm blown away by the gesture. She sent me a nice book with a small Arnprior (Ontario) artisan card with her dedication at the back - congratulating us for the wedding. Awwwwwwwwwww.... I was in tears - because I knew that she put a lot of effort into it!

So yes, I had fun. Actually, I had a very quiet, happy and fun-filled birthday. With Joaquin singing me HBD auntie, to Gianna's cooing to B's flame-happy repertoire of ribs, beef and hotdogs, to my sisters' and mom's wonderful presents (the skort and tops are Fall-themed, hehe) and my oh my, I got Vera Wang's Sheer Veil! YAY!!!!!!!

I was spoiled rotten. And we were full from all the food. :)

3 comments:

Pia said...

hey another august birthday girl - great minds must have been born this month LOL! happy birthday!!! yaay, now the wedding countdown really begins!!!

alynn said...

happy birthday wennggg!

Faye said...

belated happy birthday weng! all the best!