Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Big Day - September 16, 2006 (getting ready)

I couldn't sleep. My mom and I were in the jacuzzi suite of the Radisson after a long night of the rehearsals with eyes wide open till about 2am - worse, eating the rehearsal cake, hahaha. See, mom and I made sure that the periwinkle blue overlays, the placecards (Pier1 parasol picks on a chocolate a la Ferrero) are properly set and that the lanterns, the parasols and all other decorations were in place before we called it a night.

It must have been just 5 hours of sleep but it was a good slumber nonetheless. I made tea for both mom and I as we expect our stylists (hmua) to come in anytime soon. I looked out the humongous window - it was still dark and cloudy. I've been praying incessantly that the snow would hold off at least till we're done with our photo shoot. It's been freezing the past few days - you would think it's winter. I prayed that we'll have a good day and yes, that includes the weather. I've never watched the Weather Network like I/we did for the rest of our lives. That's what we were watching the whole 30 hours. And, I'm not kidding!

Mom said, you'll have blue skies and the sun, just trust in the Lord. I did and I'm sure it will clear up. Just not sure if our girls (especially my cousin and gf and the kids) can stand the 'cold.' They were only predicting a high of 10C. I'd take that anytime than -3 which they were originally saying last Thursday.

I stared at Mary Ellen (that's the name we gave to the bodyform/mannequin) wearing my piña cocoon offwhite dress and a long train. I muttered to myself, in a few hours, I'll be in that dress!!! :)

At exactly 7:00am, there was a doorbell. Mom was just coming out from the shower so I opened the door. Rowena and her sister, Mae, with Timmies on their hands, were surprised that I answered the bell - thinking that most brides are normally sleeping and would have someone else do the other stuff for them. Not me. I was up and about. Ready to get married! :)

The gals worked right away - while at the same time admiring the dress that I will wear. They inspected the seams, checked the embroidery, the beads, the crystals - the 2 sisters said, omg, it's piña! (pineapple fibers!) My stylist (Rowena) exclaimed, very beautiful gown - and wow, the train!!! lol

At 7:30am, my cousin Lovelynn was at the door - poor girl, she drove her Murano in the snow and was probably lacking sleep having left WA at 4am that Friday morning. But, a great gal she was, she's up and ready for the hoopla. Next came Malet then Bruce - who started snapping away as we were getting ready.

At 8-ish, my sister C came with her hubby Itoy (who is one of B's men). Then, J with her hubby and their little girl. Sally came by the door too, delivering the flowers. :) I love my bouquet!!!! The freesia (purple/lavander), stephanotis, roses and hypericum berries were beautiful!!!!

At 9-ish Sharon came. Few more people came by - my aunt and uncle from WA who just wanted to chit chat before our day and was teary because she is seeing me getting all dolled up. She was quite upset too that my dad can't come. She kept saying, my dad would have been happy to see me on my day. I totally agree.

At around 10am, the videographers came by. We were surprised because it was a youngish Asian guy with an equally youngish girl who was sent by Harmen for our video. And secretly, we were happy it was them. Romy (he's half Taiwanese, Filipino) and Tammy (Chinese gal) were our videographers - they were fun and easygoing.

Next came Carol (Bruce's wife and our 2nd photographer) who was a very nice lady. She came ready - snapping away while Bruce was covering the getting ready of the men.

At about 1030, my cellphone rang. It was my friend A from NJ. Awwwww... she was crying on the phone. She wanted to see me and be part of our whole 'parade' but couldn't because of doctor's orders. We chatted, she wished me all the luck and love and happiness and a true nurse that she really is, was giving me orders to bring my Tylenol (which I did! hahaha) in case I get my migraine from the differing weather. Gotta love HS friends eh? :)

At about 1100, I put on my clothes. I guess there weren't pictures of me wearing it because I wanted to dress in the bathroom. My sister C and my mom were helping me out. You know what's funny? I lost weight - without even trying. So, I had to wear my inner garment - we were thinking of just wearing the crinoline but I thought, I have to make it look snug because there was a bit of inches that were quite loose on my bodice. I guess one can't help that, eh? Thanks to the stupid DJ - I lost maybe 6 more pounds from last fitting. :(

When I had that window photo/pose, I noticed something. A shadow, something was being cast from the window. A shadow of the mannequin - omg, there was sunshine!!!!!! Hallelujah! :)

God is good - all the time!

The warmth of the sunshine reminded me that yes, despite all the chaos and disappointment (my dad and youngest sister couldn't come) and all other less important issues that cropped up towards this event, God is there to comfort us. There were beautiful rays of sun that was getting out of the clouds and at one point there were blue skies. Everyone in the room were ecstatic. This will be a great day - no matter what.

At 12:20pm, we are ready for the ceremony. Our limo driver was prompt. He just dropped off the men in the church. The girls (my mom, my sister C, Malet and Lovelynn and I got in the limo. They were all beaming (and chilling) - giving me that cheer, HERE WE GO!!! :)

No comments: