Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Big Day - September 16, 2006 (Ceremony)

The ride to St. Joe's was smooth and dry, if I may add. Who would ever think that yesterday was a day of flurries (wet snow) and frigid weather? It's still cold but the crisp air just reminded us all that it's Autumn afterall.

I was seated at the leftmost part of the 2-seater stretch while C was on the other side. My girls were fussing over me - asking me questions, cajoling me, teasing me - "No turning back now!" hahaha... Come on, I waited for this day. I'm looking forward - not looking back! ;)

A few cars honked at us along 16th Ave. I peeked and people in the other cars were smiling big - and then it hit me, oh, they knew I'm getting married! :) I waved back... sure, it's truly awesome to be finally getting married!!! :) Calgarians are a happy troop - we must have had 4 or 5 car honks before we reached St. Joe's. Yes, they are celebrating with us too! :)

We got to St. Joe's at probably 12:40pm. Romy and Tammy (our videographers) were giving me instructions. "M, don't rush!!!!" :P They asked my girls to go out first and to leave me alone inside the limo while they 'film' me... lol... I find that really funny! :P So, there I was - smiling and staring at the camera while they helped me get down with my long train.

I saw Lester and Kyle - my friend from Ayala who will be our offeror. They were both looking very spiffy in their tuxes. Kyle shook my hand and I gave Lester a hug. Gosh, it must be 6 years since I last saw him! :)

I just waited downstairs. And because there was only one big entrance, the latecomers (Uncle Ken's family from Red Deer) and a coworker did see me get propped down while waiting for my cue. Apparently, my groom was white as a ghost upstairs because he's the one panicking on the ceremony details (I later found out). Everyone seemed to be early. I can hear a big buzz while I waited near the Social Hall.

My MOH was giving directions for the men to stay upstairs as I wanted to be in the first landing of the stairs to sit. :) Fr. Andy came to me at exactly 1pm, asking if we're all set. I said, YES, Father!!! :)

I saw D (my instructor-friend) who was handing out the misalette. He and Fernando (B's instructor-friend) were like the ushers/greeters. Ch and her daughter M (my unity coins bearer) rushed to me - saying, Auntie M, you look beautiful in that gown!!! :) She was showing off her little tote bag and twirling in her long gown too.

Then it started. I heard Canon in D being played with Francis on the violin. Gosh, we're here!!! Sally, my florist, was there swooning and fussing. I was the one telling her to calm down! :P D and Fernando were gushing and joking too while they let Sally fix my train.

Music was fading out and I heard Panunumpa (The Promise) being played. The guys were asking me, "Open? (the door)"... I went, "YES please!" ;) hahaha

Then, there was me... marching to the tune of the music, reminding myself to hold the bouquet down by my waist, smiling... Everyone that we had in our guestlist was there... it was a small group but the place looked warm and inviting... the hydrangea in the aluminum pail draped the pews... hmm... I think they forgot to put out the candles on the windows... lol... I saw my mom, looking quite stoic and I can tell, she's trying to hold back her tears, I whispered, "Mom, smile!!!". ;)

It's funny but I did feel my mom feeling quiver-y... I think she's more nervous than I am! :) I looked at everyone from side to side, sometimes giving a quick nod, sometimes saying "Hey! you're here!", but always smiling...

Then I saw my groom! :) OMG, B looked so handsome! He was smiling - big grin on his boyish face, with that nice boutonniere of freesia, stephanotis, rose. We reached the front of the altar and my mom and B hugged each other. Mom apparently whispered to B, please take care of M to which B responded, I will, Mom. Don't worry... Now, I'm getting all teary! Yikes!!!

The ceremony began. Fr. Andy broke the ice by saying, I guess we have everything going here - I have my binder (the long misalette was printed by him in BIG LETTERS) and the couple. I guess we can start. ;)

Our liturgical entourage did a great job! Tita Norma though got the same exact copy of Fr. Andy and was reading the first version of the misalette (therefore, some names there were changed. lol) At one point, my aunt said "Oh, I just have to mention Gerald because we love him" (he's my MOH's husband and my bro-in-law) because the girls in the front were telling her, no, it's Brian, and mom, it should be me! ;)

Fr. Andy talked about companionship, friendship and discipleship in marriage. His was short and simple with that ending on - 'dont walk behind me, I may not see you, don't walk in front of me, but walk beside me and be forever' stuff. At which he prayed a marriage blessing on us.

Reghie and Ira, Lester and Kyle did our offering. These are good friends of mine (with their children) from my Ayala Health and Ayala Life days. How fitting it is to have them in our wedding! :)

The wedding rites went smoothly as if they've been pros - especially the men! :) I can tell Travis and Brian were a bit scared (they have really red faces) as they've not done anything like it. They let my girls lead and they assisted. So cute! :) In fact, during the laying of veils and cord, we were all laughing and talking at the same time.

Finally, the communion. Fr. Andy invited people that even though they are not Catholics, they can still come to the altar with their hands crossed on their chest to ask for blessings. This is to encourage them to partake of the communion - just not eating the host and drinking from the wine. At this point, Lia and Jacen were belting out Charlotte Church and Josh Groban's The Prayer and everyone later were telling me that they were very impressed with their rendition and for some of my good friends who recognized Seasons of Love from Rent during the end part of the ceremony! :)

They nailed it perfectly! And they really did a great musicale repertoire. The musicians later told me (in an email) how they loved our wedding because it was full of symbolisms and there were even explanations to it and that they loved learning new songs. I think they thought that our choices of songs were really great and that required them to 'practice'! :) Why? Because of Panunumpa, our choice for the signing of registers - Song of Ruth, and of course, one of our recessional songs - Seasons of Love! :)

Bubbles and flingers next came to view as we descend from the stairs and exited the Church.

We did a small pictorial on the lawn of the Church despite the cold weather. Everyone gathered around and were game to pose for a few shots. Our next stop was Confederation Park for the photo shoot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

just finished reading your blog, honestly i got goose bumps..and got teary eyed too with the priest welcoming other non-catholics to partake in the ceremony..it's nice to read what took place through your eyes..congratulations really is in order..pat your back for a job well done..

Pia said...

congratulations and best wishes once again! all the hard work was well worth it! can't wait for photos!!!