Friday, October 20, 2006

The Big Day - September 16, 2006 (Cocktails)

Thank goodness for the extra hour we had. We were able to freshen up, take a toilet break and I was able to decide that I had to take the bodyform I was wearing as I can't pee! :P No, I didn't go commando! hahaha I have a luggage-ful of undies because we were leaving the next day immediately after the wedding for Toronto. So I came prepared, ha! :)

I got a call from my sister from their room saying that there are still some OOT bags (of chips, gum and our waterbottles) left and they told me that they will just knock on the rooms of our guests to hand deliver them. Thank goodness for my sisters! :)

At 5:30pm, I went down to the lobby where Carol (2nd photographer) was milling around with the guests. B and I were called together for some poses by the Baby Grand (Piano). So, we did have some cheesy photos there (lol) before I went and talked to some of the guests who were early for the cocktails.

I checked out the Selkirk Room. The whole display was now setup. The 3-panel picture frame was by the door, the Pier1 parasol with the mini Pottery barn lanterns were set, the registration table was set up and the chocolate fountain was already running! Yay!!!

Right there, I felt that things did manage to fall into place - SANS a wedding coordinator - and it felt good. :) It's not Oscar worthy nor was it Hollywood-y but it's prettified enough to let the guests know that there is an Asian/Canadian thing going there - and that's the point! :) I looked around to see whether the preferred DJ showed up (and not the screwed up one!) - and there he was, DJ Buddha, extending his hand in congratulations and telling me how lovely a bride I was. (lol - that's the good thing with being the bride, everyone seems to say the BEST things on YOUR day!) :)

It's a good thing we listened to Kam (the Banquet Supervisor assigned to us) with having the dance floor to the other side of the room. It looked 'balanced' now and with the slideshow stuff happening too - it did look like a good room to party.

Shortly before 6pm, people started to come by... the kids were happy to find their loot/activity pack and the folks were happily drinking the Chocolate Kiss (chocolate martinis) and others were being dared to drink the Green drink (nope, not the Green Irish beer) but the Jade martini we pre-ordered. Hands down, everyone loved the chocolate martinis over the Jade. Maybe they thought the 'green' (jade) drink was made of gooey stuff? :) People were mingling, eating chicken wings, pot stickers, mini-quiche and chicken satay - and others were purposedly just taking small bites because they saw the food station being setup and the smarter ones checked out the menu on their tables - and know that there's more food ahead during dinner! :)

People came up to share with us how delighted they are to be in our wedding - and how great a ceremony we had. A few guests even pulled me aside gushing and telling me how nice everything was - from the room's parasol and lantern laden room to the beautiful gifts we have for each and everyone of them. (If only they knew that they're not much - but I guess the $$$ is not the point of it all.) I'm very touched - people actually acknowledge and they really go out of their way to express their appreciation for the small details we put in. I guess those long nights of stuffing the maple syrup + bamboo chimes and tying them all in a ribbon in the sinamay bag - among other things were well worth it.

At 7:15pm, we asked everyone in the bridal party to assemble for the introductions. We're getting to the program and dinner now! :)

No comments: