Thursday, May 17, 2007

From our small garden...

Canadian living afforded me to tackle on some form of domesticity and today, I'll talk a bit about gardening.

Last year when we were prepping for our wedding, B&I thought of channelling all our energies on our neglected patch of earth by our front yard. The former dwellers in our home had some irises planted that during the first year we were there, we were very surprised to see a handsome, tall, purple-ish coloured flower. I knew what an 'iris' colour is - but I didn't know how an actual IRIS flower looked like! lol And after going thru Google, I found out that we have rows of them but only the front row had flowers and the rest were just the sturdy green leaves.

There were dead rose shrubs (well, it's thorny - so I'd go with the thought that they might be roses. hahaha) on the one side of the yard and we uprooted that to replace with tulip bulbs that has bloomed oh-so-beautifully last week. (Too bad we were in Banff, we didn't get to see how glorious it looked like, but my mom and nephew would stop by our place and would say later that evening how lovely the flowers were - they wanted to pick it out earlier that morning! lol)



So, over the past year, I've seen yellow, orange-red, red, pink and salmon-coloured tulips! I still have a few buds coming out so hopefully, the rain that should come in tonight will give them some good shower and show us more beautiful flowers by Saturday! ;)



And while my pictures (taken from my archaic phone camera) don't lend justice on how beautiful they truly are in real life, the grape hyacinth (muscari) we planted last year are oh-so-fragrant (it smells like ylang-ylang) and cute, I thought it would go perfect with some of our leftover wedding buckets. ;)
Apologies for the white-washed colour (left) of the muscari as they were taken with a yellow-toned lamplight at night. The real colour of the muscari on a daylight looks like the one on the right.

Spring and flowers... love them! :)

3 comments:

Pat said...

hi, Weng,

Your flowers are so pretty! Now, I too, know what an iris looks like. hee hee... : )

flowerdrumsong said...

Pat! ;)

Thanks for stopping by. Miss chatting with you. I hope you and Tina are doing great! ;) Take care!

Marj and Carlos said...

I envy you for your green thumb. I tend to kill plants no matter how much I try not to.