Note: This was my mom's speech that she was not able to read because she felt awkward volunteering when our MC asked for anyone else who want to stand on the podium. I asked her before if she can make it but because she was busy and begged off - I honoured that and just had my sister J deliver an outstanding, heart-warming, tear-y speech. My sisters (J and C) gave her heck for not standing up and saying this (memorized too!) speech. So, in honour of my mom who is ever so bashful, here is the reprint of that speech.
It moved me and B to tears. Love you, mom.
=================================================
Good evening everyone! I could not be any happier than to be with all of you as we witness a wonderful union and to share in the blissful happiness of my daughter, M and her loving husband B. I would also like to mention how grateful I am for everybody who came to be a part of this lovely celebration especially for those who traveled a long ways to partake of this amazing event. Let me begin my speech by saying something about my dear M.
M is my first-born. I could still remember the time when my husband and I were nurturing her as a child making sure that she gets the best of everything that this world can offer. She was a bit sickly during her early childhood days and I can still recall how fragile she was growing up. But M has always been a fighter. She is resilient and her willpower too strong that she can overcome anything that comes her way. I guess she might have gotten the genes from me and her grandfather who adored her so much. In our language, we call grandfather, Lolo, and that’s how she got her nickname, Lolo’s girl, because my father will do anything and everything to make her granddaughter happy. He’s passed away now but I know that tatay, as we fondly call him, is very proud with what M has accomplished and I know that he approves of this marriage one hundred and one percent.
To my lovely daughter, I have seen you grow up to be the kind of woman that you are now. Determined, strong-willed, compassionate, thoughtful, generous and most of all, spiritual. Your dad and I are so proud of you. We could not have been happier, then, at your birth, or now, at your marriage. You have grown up so well, better than I knew to instruct you or guide you. And always remember, your happiness is my happiness.
Now, I met B when I first came to here to Canada in 2004 to attend my other daughter’s wedding and I knew from the start that B perfectly suits M’s qualities in a man. He is caring, funny, thoughtful, and I just know that he has all the right intentions for my daughter. And when he embraced the Catholic faith, I knew right there and then that this man is the one person my daughter would love to share her entire life with.
B, take care of M as much as I have. I am confident that her happiness is secured because you have proven yourself capable of giving her the love and understanding unimaginable.
To my daughter’s new parents, I humbly thank you for welcoming my daughter into your circle of life. I know that my daughter is in good hands because the wonderful traits that B have is a reflective of what his family is all about. My husband and I look forward to deepening acquaintance and shared occasions with our new ‘co-parents’ and someday, hopefully soon, co-grandparents.
On behalf of my husband, R, I thank each and every one of you for making this wonderful union a truly memorable one. And as I end my speech I quote, “When children find true love, parents find true joy”. Here's to your joy and ours, from this day forward." Cheers!
Monday, January 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I can sympathize with your mom ... plenty of people are shy about public speaking. Congratulations on the big day!
Andrew (To Love, Honor, and Dismay)
gusto ko atang umiyak! actually teary eyed but it just won't fall. this is really a nice one. i could feel the closeness between you two. i must admit i never had that bond with my mom and i just wish i have.
That was beautiful. Thanks for sharing :)
that's heartwarming... just goes to show the product of a wonderful mom...
Post a Comment