Monday, January 15, 2007

A food post.

In keeping with our promise to live healthier, I have been busily leafing thru the pages of the cookbooks I got and worked feverishly on 'challenging' courses for me. ;) I have to preface this by saying that I have NEVER, ever worked with a rolling pin before so having a pie-type of a recipe is a major accomplishment for me! :) hahaha

I am not a big fan of those frozen McCain's pot pie but the girls in one Canadian-based wedding board I go to swear that their favorite chicken pot pie (Starvin' Guy's Chicken Pot Pie from the Looneyspoons cookbook) is so easy and yummy - you have to do it over and over again. I was ambivalent to say the least - as that meant working on a 'biscuit' from scratch. So, with determination - I followed the recipe to a T - well, except that I used turkey (hey, way healthier!!!) instead of chicken! lol And here is the finished product. Actually, there were 2 batches - we ate the first batch in no time. Yes, it's very delicious! Maybe because I know how it tasted when it's frozen - and this, my friends - is wayyyy better than frozen! :)



I dabbled next with Lemon Yoghurt cake. B is not in love with yoghurt especially on baking - but, he wants to eat healthy - so, I told him to just eat it first before making any preconceived judgments! And wow, he was raving on how good it tasted (no yoghurt taste, hun! lol) The Barefoot Contessa cookbook is full of luscious recipes and I thought I should try it - considering that it's still in the 'healthy' category and it did not disappoint! :)

As my hubby is a love-what-he-sees-kind of a foodie, I thought I'd play up the glaze by making it look 'fancy' instead of just pouring it on the bread/cake. I guess that made the trick! lol This bread was devoured in 2 days - tops! I have to wrestle for maybe 2 pieces as he was eating it - breakfast, lunch and dinner as dessert. ;)


Last in my show and tell post is my first attempt for an apple pie! Yay!!! This time, the recipe is straight from my dishevelled Nora Daza cookbook. :P It's so gutay-gutay, you know that it has lived it's nicer days! hahaha As you know, we always have fruits in the house - our attempt to snack healthily. But, you know, we can't finish the whole dang fruit so we always ended up having extras... and because I hate wastage, these babies are going to be made into pie (now that I have learned to use the rolling pin! hahaha) as it probably won't have enough for a drink even if we put them in the juicer.

I think for my first attempt, it wasn't bad... ;) It tastes good as an apple pie should - but I screwed up on the egg-wash because I put the whole egg and added water. Sablay! lol Di tuloy makintab. hahaha

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the lemon yogurt cake looks great!
and we love apple pies. but i always end up using gala apples instead of baking ones (using leftovers din e) so my pies always end up watery :( yours doesn't look watery. any tips?

flowerdrumsong said...

Ana!!! :) How are you, sis?!?!?! Ay naku, loved the lemon yoghurt!!! And the apple pie - yikes, I think it's gala too (pero malabo na - alam mo yun, parang medyo matanda na yung mansanas) that's why it didn't become watery. :P Wala ng juice! hahaha I'll send you the recipe (wala naman type of apple dun sa recipe ni Nora D) then you can compare how your recipe is vs that of Nora's. Take care!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

yes please send me the apple pie recipe! thank you!