Saturday, March 25, 2006

Melrose Cafe at 17th Ave SW


Eversince I stepped foot in Calgary, I have always been fascinated with the areas of Kensington, Eau Claire, the mansions of Crescent Heights and Elbow Drive and of course the hip Uptown 17th Ave.

Since my first visit in 2000 ended with a heart-break (yes, I was smitten over a guy who was divorced and was too dang careful not to break my heart who when I came back in 2003 and introduced B - who wasn't my fiance yet then - did not phone me back for almost a year; ... and of course, the last stupid mistake I had to commit - be involved with a good-for-nothing guy (yup, a different one!) on a long-distance relationship) - my recollections of the 17th Ave is not something I'd like to rekindle all the time. Who wants to remember the late night coffee and conversations at 17th ave when the guys broke your heart?!?!?!

Yet, this part of town has always been special. And I think it goes back to my roots.... Manila.

Uptown 17th is full of lights, noisy, upbeat, super traffic, eclectic, hard-to-find parking, but most of all, hopping! :P (Does that sum up everything or what?!?!? haha) And 2004 just changed all of the 17th Ave after putting Calgary (yes, NOT Toronto! hahahaha) in the map of the world for the loud, die-hard cheering squad and fans of Calgary Flames in the Stanley Cup quest of the NHL games. The 17th Ave is re-named to what is now known as The Red Mile. (Red is Calgary Flames, fyi.)

And Red Mile is only equivalent to one place - Melrose Cafe and Bar. Last night, the girls and I went there. It was my first time to be in the place (I guess when we're in between winter and spring, the best seats are not taken yet! hahaha) I love the place!!!!! Well, I like it not because of the boisterous men in the bar who are cheering for Kipper and Iggy (goalie and team captain of CF) but because it's again, a place that reminds me of the different hang out we have back home.

We're going back for sure. Not sure though if B will like the flatbread sandwiches... lol

http://www.localcalgary.com/index.asp?storeid=156

No comments: