Thursday, March 01, 2007

Post-wedding life.

Someone actually asked this to me - so now that you're married - how else will you spend your days!?!?! (meaning, wedding preparations took much of our time then - she was worried we don't have anything else to do) Isn't that a weird question!??!

First of all, I believe that this is just another chapter that we will start to write on our own book of life. And truth be told - we are embarking on a greater, busier, far riskier life than what we have known now - more than ever. B & I, long before we got engaged - have a long list of what we want to do. Between the two of us, we share a lot of common and important visions/values - and that includes having a family. So, how do we fare?

In November, him and I got invited to a business venture. B has always been enterprising - he looks forward to a future that is bright and comfortable with a lifestyle we both can enjoy. I, on the other hand, business major at that - have always believed that entrepreneurship is the way to go but the other part of my brain was freezing me into action because I'm dang scared to 'waste' capital. But, I think we're destined for big things - and that has sprung us into taking this venture - head on.

B & I are re-writing our future. We're going to be full-blown business owners - although ours is pretty much in the start-up phase. Thanks to my Ayala days that has given me great influence and B's desire to be a participant in family-building, we found a vehicle that will drive us to the dream that we have always conjured. Yes, we are busier - in fact, wayyy busier than when we were doing our preparations - but we know it's toward a big dream - so, wish us luck!!!! :)

In other news, I would now admit that one big reason why we're also busy was because we wanted to get into the #1 priority in our life - and that's to 'settle' down. Finding our own nest is primordial in our priority list and yes, we are pre-approved for a mortgage! Now, the big dilemma is coming up with the downpayment - pronto! We have searched and searched in this crazy market and while there are decent houses in our price range - we can't bring ourselves to buying something that has been lived in before (and has a longer list of to-do's, we want a house - not a project!) when we intend to live in it for at least 5 years - and hopefully, with a tot or two in the picture. We have been regular visitors in some show-home sites - and I really hope we can get something going because dang Calgary market increases every freakin' week. Get this, last week, one house we were looking at was at $312K - now, guess how much is it's NEW base price?!?!? $325K!!!!! ONE friggin' week! So, yes, I won't go there because I didn't intend this to be a rant post. But yes, your eyes don't deceive you - that's at least 23K more in just one week!

Between this and wedding preps, planning a wedding is easy (sans the payment aspect!!!!) because I can control the cost and how much we want to splurge - but housing prices is a different story altogether!

7 comments:

Marj and Carlos said...

Hi Weng! Are you in CAlgary ba? Can I email you? I have a few questions since my brother and my sister in law are heading that way this July for fellowship at University of Calgary. They're very concerned about the weather and they're looking for a place to rent. My email is moacga@yahoo.com. Any input will be a lot of help for them. Thanks much :)

flowerdrumsong said...

Marj!!!

Whoa - really?!!? They're MDs like you as well?!?! Grabe - beauty and brains! :) Yes, I do live in Calgary and UofC is an awesome place to be. I'll email you right now. Take care!

Faye said...

i completely agree! we have far more things to worry about after the wedding. it's not like before that you mostly worry just about yourself. you're building a family this time. we don't know what's ahead of us too. but as long as we have each other, we'll get there... one at a time.

oh and we're dying to have our own house too but can't afford it right now. hehehe

flowerdrumsong said...

Faye!!! :) How are you!??! Haven't had the chance to bloghop but I will pay a visit soon. How are things? I know what you mean by 'dying to have our own house'... omg, we've been looking since January!!! I'm crossing our fingers and hope we can come to some sort of a solution pretty soon so we can go ahead with the house issue. I am very tempted to buy a lottery ticket - if only I can come up with the 'instant' money! Ingat! :)

Anonymous said...

a business! yes, go for it! i'm one of those who believe you have to work for yourself to really get somewhere.
the wedding preps is nothing compared to real life. if yung iba stessed out sa wedding preps, then i think they are ill prepared for the days to follow the wedding.
Best of luck!

Pia said...

we can't bring ourselves to live in a secondhand home too! hehehe. the price of wanting something brand new ei? =) not to worry... i do believe that if you want it badly, the universe will conspire to give it to you (or so Paolo Coehlo says!).

yup... wedding planning is so much easier than marriage hahaha!

flowerdrumsong said...

Ana: Thanks sis for the vote of confidence! :) I know what you mean by some gals stressing over the small stuff of wedding planning - it's nothing compared to REAL life!!! :)

Pia: How's Vancouver these days??! Yeah, love Paolo Coehlo of The Alchemist! And, we're still on the lookout for 'the' nest. Will keep you posted. :)