Friday, December 09, 2005

Rent's Power


I confess... I am a Renthead. Well, a Broadway junkie is more fitting but I'd just like to delve on Rent. After seeing this musicale twice in Manila, I know that if there's going to be a film version - I had to watch it. And I did, well, we (B & I) did - last night.

Thank God for my sweetie - I didn't have to cry alone. I watched Rent with Malet before and we both bawled our eyes out because while we don't live in NYC and has truly not experienced homelessness - the message of Rent still drives a very important point: Live your life to the fullest. NO DAY BUT TODAY.

AIDS and everyday life. Living in the present. No future, no yesterday. No day but Today.

And how often do we miss this? The living in the NOW - not worrying about what happened yesterday or get obsessed on what's to come?

When you only have today as your day, how will you live it?

Mimi might have an answer -

The heart may freeze or it can burn,
The pain will ease if I can learn,
There is no future,
There is no past.
I live this moment as my last.
There's only us,
There's only this,
Forget regret
Or life is yours to miss.

No other road,
No other way,
No day but today.

There's only yes,
Only tonight
We must let go
To know what's right.

No other course,
No other way,
No day but today.

I can't control my destiny
I trust my soul
My only goal
Is just to be
There's only now
There's only here
Give in to love
Or live in fear

No other path,
No other way,
No day but today.

No comments: