The ongoing call for the whole humanity to save our planet is ringing to its highest decibel and any decent person who cares should act! We only have one earth - let's save it!
My first wake up call was the documentary of former US Vice President Al Gore. I guess I never knew what our whole planetary changes are going thru and what global warming is all about until I saw it. Call me a geek - but yes, we watched them all thoroughly that I think at one point, I ended up following thru some of his theories online. At the risk of being called gullible, I thought Mr. Gore's claims have merits - added to that are some National Geographic claims on the ice shield up north - what we saw and heard did make us spring into action.
So, how do I love earth... let me count the ways...
1. Reduce, reuse, recycle is our mantra. Long before the big blue bins were in, hubby and I would usually have a chore day where we just bring in the recyclable stuff on the designated / community bins. We do bring our bottles to the depot and we peel off the paper from the bottles too - imagine that! :) Thankfully now, it was made easier because everything goes to the bin as specified in the list from the City.
2. Choosing energy efficient gadgets - yes, including our house! So while we don't have solar panels yet as our area is not coded for it, we did choose household appliances that has the star-symbol and the heating of the house is graded at least 75% efficient. It does help on the pocket but more importantly, it makes for a better earth.
3. Reducing carbon footprint. Taking the transit is one of the ways we try to reduce our carbon waste. Sometime in 2010 we are hopeful that hybrid cars are the norm so we can get into this as well. I think in my to-do list too is learn to ride the bike - as that for sure will help the planet. Then again, there's walking too - which I do anyway. ;)
4. Buying local and organic - as much as we can. True, it is expensive - but hey, do you attach a price tag to your health? Besides, I remember back home when the standard of eating is 'from scratch' - you can actually savour the real taste of a vegetable or a fruit or meat. So now, after switching from store bought to farm-raised - we can't go back. Seriously, do you know how good cheese tastes??? Even my uber-picky husband has turned quite a gourmand when it comes to his cheese - when before he was happy with Chiz Whiz! lol It helps the farmers, we help the economy as we are buying within our shores and we give back to the earth. Can we say win-win-win??!?!
5. Purge, re-gift, exchange. With the changes in the season, we are able to have a quick check on what we want to keep or what we want to give out or donate. We don't throw away stuff like we normally did - as someone might find a good use for it in some ways.
6. Plant a tree/flowers/greens. I'm working on an ongoing project and soon enough, I'll show you the 'finished' product/harvest! ;)
7. BYOB. Bring your own bag - when you go to the mall or in the market or the grocery store. Sometimes, they take off a few cents from your purchase (like Lululemon and Blush Lane) when you bring your own bag. It may just be a mere .25 cents but a dough is a dough. In the Philippines, we have this wise saying (on saving): You wont have a peso (dollar) unless you have a centavo (a penny). It maybe small but it amounts to something. How about less garbage on the landfill?
8. Use sustainable materials. In our next home project, we're thinking of using bamboo for flooring. It is good for the environment and aesthetically pleasing - plus, it reminds me of 'home'. Or, don't go eating that yellowfin tuna (sushi) - they're getting extinct!!!
9. Be creative. Leftovers are great for next day's meal. Don't throw your buttermilk that you used on the pancake - it makes for a great tenderizer for your chicken; or your extra ham bone is great for soups and lentils!
10. Join the Earth Hour. I just did!
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
useful tips you have here. ako naman i make sure i hand dispose of old batteries properly. good thing saving the planet is part of our CSR at work.
Post a Comment