It's the 142nd year of confederation of Canada and this particular year is special because this time, I get to partake in it by virtue of a citizenship ceremony. Yes, I am officially a Canadian!!!! :)
Over the years that I've been here, I have always appreciated my new 'home' but because I was not conferred the title 'citizen' yet, there is some sort of an arm's length distance on how I view Canada. Not to say though that I don't participate on anything related to causes I like, it's just that - I felt that I "lack" something in order to fully contribute - especially in matters that involve politics. As you know, unless you are a citizen, you can't vote. But now, that meant, I can really go out with my opinions/thoughts/acts as I get to be a citizen as of today.
The weather was awesome today. A whopping 21C and sun-sunny day for sure! My oath-taking was at the Princes Island Park (our mega-favourite park!!!) and the Good Lord has truly made everything possible for my hubby to get here in time for this important ceremony. My sisters and their families were around to see me get called in for my citizenship papers. So, really - the people that matter were there! :)
One funny and quite unexpected thing happened though. While we were waiting for the ceremony to start, a crew from Global TV Calgary went by our area to ask who the new citizens will be and voila, I got interviewed by this one lady who just made very small talk about how it feels like to be a Canadian, where I came from and yes - quite a real deal question as - would you rather be somewhere else in this economic recession? It`s all too quick and candid that I never really thought hard on answering them but I think the way they have portrayed/edited my answer was really cool. My sisters were bugging me because I got a `longer` exposure than the ones that were also interviewed. hahaha
So yes, my July1 celebration was a tad bit more important than the rest of the other folks, but I`m sure my other 57 conferred-Canadians also feel the same way. :)
Thank you, Canada... and happy 142nd Birthday! :)
Wednesday, July 01, 2009
Happy Birthday, Canada!!!!
Labels:
accomplishments,
announcements,
excitement,
family,
fun,
good times,
news,
party
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
congrats dearie!!!!! :o)
congratulations, Weng! :) worth the wait, i'm sure.
thanks girls! :)
Post a Comment