Sunday, June 28, 2009

Summer excitement.

The blue skies, the rays of sunshine - along with high UV index and the earlier sunrise are a big welcome change after being in the cold for at least a good six months. When I was new here, I thought it was ridiculous when people start their conversations (after the usual hi's and hellos) with a topic regarding the weather. Geez, now I know why! lol

I guess I never knew what extreme weather can be like because where I grew up in, we only have two seasons - wet and wetter. lol No, seriously, it's dry and wet. Here, we do experience a looooooonnngggg winter, then, briefly - spring, summer, then, briefly (again) - autumn. So yes, you can imagine, I used to frown when people do go thru 'spring cleaning' of wardrobes and justify spending their monies on 'new' sets of clothes. Ok, it's not like I don't do those (I am guilty of such too) but then, I don't necessarily have to HAVE new clothes. But, I can't fathom having to bring a whole new sets of wardrobes every season. Maybe I'm frugal but that's just me. In fact, the clothes that I brought with me six years ago when I first stepped foot here - are still with me. So yeah, they are mostly 'summer' clothes - but they are investment pieces!!! And, weird as it may sound, but I do get to wear them still (except for the skirts) - only underneath the dress pants, are thermal underpants! hahaha

Anyhow, I digress. The sun is shinier and the days are longer - I love it!!! It's always cool to be able to get to work when the sun is up and go home with the sun still shining down on me. It makes up for the crappy and hectic time at work. Oh yeah - the inevitable Fall group is coming - so despite a mountainload of work, we try to 'entertain' ourselves by talking about (you guessed it!) - the weather!!! :)

It's probably odd to say this - but I missed the sun too much that I don't mind being under it (with my sunscreen of course) unlike when I was back home. Having that Vitamin D does help one's being for sure. I find that when there is sun, people are prone to being happier. I guess when one is sunkissed - it seems that you have 'life' - as your pallor is greatly diminished. How nice it is to have some 'colour'! :)

This summer, we're staying put, I think. I love Canadian summers because it seems the whole of the country is alive! There are festivals, parks teeming with leisurely activities, in Calgary - there's Stampede, bbq and patio season, for B - golfing! There is just so much to do and look forward to.

And speaking of things to do - there are two things that will happen next week. I'll keep you apprised next time. In the meantime, drink your lemonade, eat that kebob, and let's lounge some more under the mighty sun!

Happy Summer!!! :)

2 comments:

Gracie said...

enjoy the summer season! it's the best time of the year all over the world, except here in the Middle East :(

flowerdrumsong said...

thanks gracie! :)