For many of us, we define ourselves by our profession. I think even when we were just little ones, 'branding' ourselves have been ingrained early on that many of us associate our life with 'what we do'.
Work. Career. Job. These words would sometimes be the 'common' identifiers of a person. It may reveal a bit about yourself but I think that the best description of oneself is based on values and philosophies that you fight and stand for. The work that you do might shape your character but I believe that it's not the only thing that would define the person.
So now, the question I have is - why are you doing that job/career/work that you do? Is it a choice? or a passion? for security? by force of circumstance? an escape?
I heard different reasons why they love/succumb/look forward to their work. There are no right or wrong answers. I am just curious why you are where you are.
My answer is a combination of security, some choice, some circumstance, and very little passion. My first love was Human Resources and all that it entails. I've done it, and am still hoping to do it although I'm shifting gears and getting my feet wet with actually running and still trying to do our small enterprise.
Do we settle for less? Or, forced to good? Or, learned to sacrifice for security and comfort? Or, do you pursue your true calling? Or inspired by someone? Or is trailblazing a path?
If you read it and you want to respond, do so... Otherwise, I just wanted to write my thoughts in here. And, hopefully have a better insight on your why and work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
aba ang lalim nito weng... napaisip din ako.
like you, i would say it's a combination of security, choice, circumstance, and very little passion. however, i would also like to add one more.. a little fate. i wasn't suppose to take up CS during college coz my passion was really arts. however, due to certain circumstances, i got myself into CS, thus my current profession. no regrets though coz my current job provides us security and the opportunity to be here in canada. if i pursued my passion and enrolled myself in art courses, would you think i'd still be here today? i don't think so.
anyways, tinatamad din ako everyday pumasok bec i don't find passion in the work i do. it's just for the sake of work. for the past few years, i've been thinking of switching to non-CS related job, just to get the experience. but somehow, that just didn't happen. passion VS moolah? i guess reality wins in the end. :)
well said, wanda! we are in the same boat - reality bites eh? :)
i guess marami na rin sa mga kabatch ko sa IT don't enjoy it as much anymore. i used to love it. you never run out of things to learn. pero nakakapagod rin. i have long wanted to change career. but a paycut just isn't possible. i am trying to do what i've always wanted - run my own business. but while it's not off the ground, i have to keep the dayjob. so it was a choice at first, then for security na lang later on. but like wanda, if i wasn't in IT, i probably would not have had the opportunities to migrate.
i hear you, girl! same with you and wanda, paycut won't cut it! that's why i'm doing what i'm doing....
I became a doctor because my parents decreed that all their kids become doctors. In short, I had no choice but in the end it was the right career for me. I absolutely love what I do. I don't know what I would be or what I would want to be aside from what I'm doing now. I wish I was a little bit more gifted though, I wish I could cook like a pro or be creative or be artsy, but since I'm not I'm happy where I am.
that's awesome marj! i think to be an MD is a true calling - not everyone has the smarts you know! ;)
Post a Comment