Monday, November 17, 2008

The Express Bus Routine.

You know when you try so hard to focus on the positive to drown out the negatives in your surroundings it actually gives you a boost - if only for a while? Well, that's how I feel every day when I ride my express bus. Indulge me in telling you the routine I have every two weeks when I ride the Route XXX from our little community south of Calgary.

Since May, I have been forced to good and had to learn my way to taking the bus to work. Dear hubby had an offer to work out of town for 2 weeks in a month and while we mulled over these things for a long time, we thought to give it a shot - and so, that meant, I had to take the public transportation to get to work. (Note to self: get the dang driver's license now!!!) And so, this is my story...

1. a. The AM (men) driver/s. Over the course of 6 months, we have had 2 men drivers. The guy drivers were really nice - they makes sure everyone is settled before they speed up to move to the next station and would cheerily greet us back "good morning" as if they really like seeing their passengers for the day. They were polite yet strict. One time, this one male driver had to ask that passenger whose music is just too dang loud that he actually had to stop the bus, get up from his seat and faced us - requesting for this passenger to tone down his music. Oooooooooohhhh - you can just see the elation of everyone when he did this!!! Coz really, when you are at the bus at 10 to 7 in the morning and you barely had breakfast, the last thing you'd like to hear is some blaring sound from someone else's friggin' ipod!!!

1. b. The AM (woman) driver. Ugh! This woman, I really don't give a rat's a$$ about because she's not like our men drivers. Many times over the course of maybe 2 months now, she would literally speed up and NOT stop even if the hapless passengers were braving the rain or the snow just to get to the friggin' stop. I, for one, was a victim!!!! It's a good thing it was a Tuesday and my boss works from home so I was late for that stupid day! I swear she saw me (I was wearing red, for crying out loud!) but because I was not on the stop YET, it's as if she did not see me. Grrrrr!!!! Since then, I never said good morning to her - I know, it's childish, but really, that's a small thing to do (ignore her) coz I can also call Calgary transit and just report her too! She's done that to many, many people and even if we (meaning, the passengers would say that someone's trying to catch this bus) - it's as if she's deaf! OMFG!!!! Or, she'd say, where? (putek - pa-patay-malisha pa!!!) then, speeds up anyway... tama ba yun??? So, unfortunately, she's still plying our route - so here's me and everyone else, at the beginning of winter time, freezing our bums to death because we know that she does NOT stop if we're not on the designated place. I really, really hope she gets transferred soon... we want the men - they're good and polite and considerate unlike this malditang driver!

2. The blonde chatterbug. Oh.my.goodness!!! I had to wait a good 6 months before I decided to blog on this person because really, she probably annoys everyone with her being madaldal! At first, I was very upset with all her litanies and stories - and mind you, she sits about 3 rows on the other side of the bus YET, I can tell you in verbatim what her story was all about! yes, that's how loud she is... I guess, she does not mean to speak loud but she's got a booming voice so she does not know how to speak in soft tones... and naku, I don't like to eavesdrop but you can't help it!!! So I think, that's why most people try to bring in their ipod and what not - me, am so lazy to bring one coz I have this huge Lulu bag and I don't like opening my purse in a crowded bus so, I had to endure the noise of this blond-ina! One July morning (before we flew to Vegas), I was talking with D who is my co-worker and she's giving me suggestions on what show to go to (D went in August too) when suddenly, she chimed in! O di ba, talagang pakialamera! See, the blonde's gfs are not in the bus that's why she's quiet, so I did NOT even know that she was right behind us! Yikes!!!! Anyhow, she gave suggestions about seeing a show in Wynn (Le Reve) and went yakkity-yak with Vegas. Imagine our surprise - hello, makinig ba sa usapan!!! After 6 months though, I think she grew on me - she still is matutina in her talking to friends but I guess it has become like a white noise as I have learned to tune her out and I get to have a catnap to work even with her chatter! hahaha

3. The coloured guy who also gets off at my stop. I like him because he always makes sure he would press the STOP button for me. lol

4. The English gal who always wears the periwinkle blue jacket similar to mine. Nice lady, very humble and always has a smile on her face. And, her hubby drives a 2008 BMW SUV! ;) She was late today though - buti na lang she was able to catch us before we hit the freeway!

5. The Pinay who wears the moss green tweed jacket who acts as if she's a Pantene commercial model . Nako, if I see her walking to the stop - I'm hooped - she's ALWAYS late - and she probably hates the woman driver more than me! hahaha

6. The PM drivers. When I happen to catch the first bus which I hate (unless it's Friday and I'm egging to go home pronto!) because it's always full and standing ovation na lang pwede, I always hope that the guy who is driving is the cool guy and not the road-maniac guy. Sure, the road-maniac probably can bring us home earlier by 10 minutes but jusme, you have to kapit-to-death just so you don't get swayed or tumble over because he does not exercise caution when maneuvering the freakin' city bus! Lately though, this guy was replaced by a cool woman who drives very smooth and always has great side comments! I like the way she drives, we glide - even if the dang freeway is full of idiots who seem to want to commit suicide on the road! The 2nd pm guy driver though is my most favourite of them all. Why? Because he was nice enough to stop and wait for me (on the next set of lights after the designated stop) after I missed him on my way home because the lights turned DON'T WALK 2 Fridays ago! Now, if that's the malditang driver - I would be going home by train and take the friggin' shuttle and not come home till 7:30pm!

7. The old hag who looks like my step-mom-in-law. Hey, I don't 'hate' my stepmom-in-law - it's just that this old woman who always sits on the estribo reminds me too much of the stepmom-in-law with the hirit that she does and also with her mannerisms that I swear, they were probably twins separated at birth! My impression was not so nice because she, too, was the same woman who gave me a head-to-toe look on the very first time I had to go home by bus. You know how it is right - they have cliques! And since she NEVER saw me ride the bus ever before - she was probably thinking - hay naku, another passenger on this bursting by the seam bus!!! But still, I think it's very rude of her to do that! And I notice, she does that everytime she sees someone who is 'new' to the route.

8. The couple from house #42 - I like them, so cute together and the girl is very kind. She'd offer a seat to someone and I like her quiet elegance. Makes me wish that B also works downtown so I have someone I can be with on the longgggggggggg bus ride!

9. The girl who is always first to get on the bus in the morning from the other south community and who also gets on my stop when going home. (aka the girl with the lulu gold/bronze bag). I swear she's filipina but I think she grew up here. She's glamorous without being OA (and she's tall!!!) and I love, love, love her eye make up! One day when I'm in the mood to chicka, I will ask her one thing: What's your secret to a really good eye make up??? She always looks dolled up and effortlessly at that! I am not good with make up at all - so I am dying to know how she is always able to pull that look all the time! (nope, hindi po ako lesbian-a! lol)

10. The old woman who ride the 2nd bus route going home. Now, that is a woman who has aged gracefully. She is a grandma who always has a nice smile and a warm greeting. That's one of the reasons why I like the 2nd route in the pm - the people are nicer, gentler and yes, there's still a seat for me!

Tomorrow is another day - and just another trip on my bus route to downtown.

2 comments:

Gracie said...

i love this post, Weng! i enjoyed how you described your drivers and co-passengers, and i must say you are pretty observant. i’m like that, too, especially when in a public place, so siguro kung bus-mates tayo, we’ll get along well observing the people.
i personally like bus rides. it keeps me grounded ‘cos i get to mingle with all sorts of people. what i hate is the waiting game…and the running-after-the-bus-‘cos-i-was-5-seconds-late drama!

flowerdrumsong said...

hey gracie! :) thanks - yes, am pretty observant and it would really be nice if we share busrides - it would be nice to talk in our language pa minsan minsan naman... i don't have many pinoy neighbours so kaka miss!