Saturday, March 08, 2008

Positivity.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/positivity

I have lots of stories to tell but I have not purposedly written them down. I suppose, because, I don't really need an audience/reader to be able to get a reaction anyhow - that's why I thought it's best leaving it to my long list of things-to-remember-by.

However, today, I'm inspired. To think, I should really be having a shower as we're going to Stephie's birthday - but I have done so much neglect to the blog that I thought I have to write this down - it's now or never.

And, the inspiration was from a gal who used to live in the 'projects' and has just turned 20 years old (according to her bio) and is making a difference in our lives. I was lazily watching Ch23 today when I saw a title that caught my fancy - "Making Waves" and the gal in the tv was a cute little girl - well, lady.

She started a journey - a tour to showcase her song and really, to find inspiration. It was like a docu-tour where she was shown leaving the islands of BC to embark on a 'I'll find my reason for doing this (life)' saga. And her first stop was Halifax.

Nova Scotia kids are "DTRT" - doing the right thing. Ladies (2 mothers) started a movement that gave the kids in school a 'voice' - a chance to stand up against bullying. The two lady-founders told her, we need to let the students know that they can do something - the right thing - and it's ok to be 'different' because everyone is unique.

Rooftop Planting for Meals on Wheels in downtown Montreal. How people find a way to grow food from their own backyard/soil and this becomes a spring board to feeding a lot of people - low income folks - who need help with the most basic necessity, food. She delivered the food to these people after she prepared them in the soup kitchen.

Rap music to get the kids out of the streets of Toronto. I have been to To and while I did see the street culture up close and personal, I guess I never knew how dangerous it can be when the ones involved are not equipped with proper life skills - teenagers without role models. She saw how life can be made significantly different if only some compassionate people show a tiny bit of respect and commitment to teens who seriously want to 'reform' their lives.

Laugh therapy in Calgary. Being a clown has its merits and it sure cures a lot of diseases. Visiting sick kids and seeing how a belly-full of laughter can truly create wonders and wipe away tears even if someone is chronically ill.

The Sharing Farm in Vancouver. The lady who runs this farm has pure passion. Organic farming to donate to the food bank. I like the little signage they showed - "This land provides food for the rich - the food bank". Her drive to provide proper food (organic at that) should not be limited to the rich and the well to do. If everyone can only learn to love the earth and use it well, we can feed everyone and no one will get hungry. WOW!!!

Living in the East Side of Vancouver. One lady who helps street people find a decent living by providing low cost housing assistance delivers a very clear message. People who live in the streets are people too. A polite gesture goes a long way. Don't look down on them as if they're trash - who are we to pass judgement anyway?

Hayley Sales is a 20 year old singer/farmer from BC. Her songs are heartfelt, poignant, soulful. I've never appreciated her songs until I've seen the artist in her. You must have heard her in the airwaves - her hit song What You Want is always being played in the radio.

Her desire to create something positive in the world is admirable. It made me re-think my life and how I am living my own state of affairs. Have you done something positive - no matter how small - to change the world?

It does not have to be mind altering. In fact, it may even just be a song.

No comments: