Had a quick date with dear hubby. It's been awhile that we have done real good time although really, 'killing' time is made synonymous with shopping. ;) Or dinner out Or doing something entertaining.Last night, we did all three and in that order too. ;) We stopped by at Gravity Pope at 17th Ave SW because I thought it's about time I 'invest' in a good 'red' shoes. Ok, that's whim - but I DON'T have any red shoes!!! I saw a Vic Matie on sale but couldn't find it in store - so I got a Kenneth Cole Reaction flats instead... Now, I won't be so Ronald McDonald-y because I have 'real' shoes to wear. lol Now, B got himseld another Merrell - I sure hope this time, it lasts more than 6 months as that other one he got just couldn't handle the pressure of his feet... (he uses it at work - not because of some other thing, you green minded, you! hahaha)
Next stop was at El Sombrero Restaurant where authentic Mexican dishes with live serenader are their signature. The place is quaint - reminds of those little places in Malate minus the snow!!! Loved the quesedilla and the handmade flour tortilla although I found the sausage a tad bit salty... but hey, this is far better than the Julio's Barrio in Kensington - where their Mexican dishes are too westernized - even their nachos are bland! :(
Finally, with the snow in sight and a map quest to go, we headed to the Dance Studio West by Crowchild to watch my colleague EP in The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. The play was indie in style - so none of the usual polish and broadway-like production. The stage was bare save for the mummified 'cabinet' and a piano suspended in a scaffold. Yes, that bare! However, this is grassroots production so my expectation was met. I was not scandalized to say the least.
It was an interesting 60 minutes (it only has 1 act) and boy, are these people ever talented! I was shocked to see EP doing the squeals like she has a big megaphone in her stomach for her frail body. Actors - what can I say??!?! Everyone shone and Dr. Caligari was awesome. I guess I've never seen such a long monologue (about 10 minutes) where German was sandwiched in between the English lingo. The production was Hitler-based afterall, but still - when he says it as if he's just breathing - that is just awesome! The play was expressionist - bordering on pantomime. And the only 'speaking part' aside from the occassional lyrical parts was just that of the long monologue. If only for that, I take my hats off. How may people can effectively communicate the thoughts and suggestions by just the body language and almost zero talk? The actors did just these - and that blew me away!!!
B thinks it's different. I'd say! Then again, he has never seen a grassroots level type of production. In Manila, my HS friends and I were always at the ECP (experimental center) because one of our good friends was a playwright. The productions in Manila is very creative (we have lots of prolific writers) and adaptations are seldom done unlike here in Canada where mostly are done as an adaptation.
So there goes our night. Can't wait for our next 'play' date. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment