From dictionary.com
a mark of disgrace or infamy; a stain or reproach, as on one's reputation.
What have our world become? I have tried my best not to dwell on this. But, the latest tragedy in Virginia struck a very sensitive chord. I work in a College setting and it saddens me to see how one person's mental state was left unnoticed and maybe, he was somehow crying for help too - has become one masterpiece of a horror movie. 33 people killed. And all of them - died senselessly.
There is stigma in mental illness. And in this unfortunate event, the killer was saddled with that. The world grieves for the loss of victims and we sympathize with the staff and families of those left behind.
There are many questions. And frankly, it's too late to even dwell on that as the answers won't bring the students and teachers back. It's just too sad - knowing that someone who probably was crying for help inside was left to this sh!thole of mental illness - without understanding what it is. The characterization was consistent - he was a loner, withdrawn, dejected. And people were saying that it's all over his writings too. But why nothing was done - was a bigger puzzle.
Catch 22. If someone we suspect is mentally ill, some folks will say that it's discriminatory to send people to an institution but if that will prevent him/her from getting worse, why was there nothing done?!?! We have become a people of political-correctness, we're afraid to make a stand.
I still cry whenever I see the news. It's painful to watch because I guess I can't fathom the fact that someone very young can be very, very mad at the world - to the point that one can just pull the trigger and kill everyone in sight. It is not fair. But, with mental illness left untreated for 20 something years, that inner dragon is just left spewing more fire - and in this case, semi-automatic gunfires. Nobody was spared. This guy knows what he wants and that's to curtail the lives of those he thinks are his enemies. How deeply disgusting, sad and hurtful is that?
When God created the world, He made it to be wonderful. I'm sure no one is born evil. But how in earth is this happening?
I guess we just forget to reach out and show concern and share love. I feel for the families of the victims, but equally - I feel for the killer's families as well. And oddly, for that guy who appeared normal but was full of anger and hate and probably - lost inside himself.
Look around you. Appreciate the people. Maybe, that one person next to you might be experiencing something deep-seated, he/she is also crying out a quiet "HELP!". Get over the stigma. Mental illness is not contagious. Let's show people we are humans once again. And hopefully, there will be less shooting and rampages. It's time we care.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
weng, i weep too when i see news about it...the sounds of cries and angst, and the unending sound of multiple shots from that video...it's heartbreaking..especially when they showed the pictures and how well he planned all of these...how can it happen right?...how can he harbor such hatred...what has become of this world?...now i even rethink of bringing up children in this world..what kind of social life awaits them?
Sharonel: Let's hope for the best. Take care.
Post a Comment