Saturday, February 03, 2007

For Ana :) Apple Pie recipe of Nora Daza

I promised a W@W friend that I'll share what I used for the apple pie recipe. So, here it is - straight from Nora Daza's cookbook. Enjoy! :) Disclaimer: I tweaked a bit some of the instructions here - esp on the pie crust. I thought I have to be more explicit since not all of us are 'seasoned' bakers. ;)

Crust:
2 c sifted all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/3 c vegetable shortening
1/3 c margarine
3 tbsp water (I adjusted this to what I need - so that your ball of flour resembles a dough. I used more I think)

Measure flour into mixing bowl and mix salt through it. With pastry blender, cut in shortening until shortening particles are the size of peas. (NOTE: If you don't have pastry blender, you can manually do the blending by giving your arms an exercise with the wooden spoon until you are able to make a dough.) Sprinkle with water, a tbsp at a time, mixing lightly with fork until all the flour is moistened. Gather dough together until it cleans the bowl. Press firmly into a ball and divide the dough into 2. Make a dough using your rolling pin. Place the larger dough in the pan, leaving 1/2 inch over hanging edge. Set aside. Be sure to prick the dough with fork. Prepare filling*. Pour into pastry lined pan. Roll out remaining dough until large enough to extend 1" beyond edge of pie pan. Make several slits near center to allow steam to escape during baking. Carefully place pastry evenly on top of fillilng. Seal thoroughly by pressing together with fingers on edge of pie pan.

Applie Pie Filling*
1/4 c brown sugar, packed
1/4 c granulated sugar
2 tbsps all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp butter or margarine
1 1/2 c sliced apples (8-10 green tart apples) - but I used Macintosh red I think.

Combined first 7 ingredients together. Blend well. Coat apples gently with sugar-spice mixture. Spoon into pie crust. Cover with crust. Bake at 425F (215C) about 40-45 minutes or until apples are cooked and pie crust is golden brown.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wee!! can't wait to try this! hopefully when i get to manila i'll be able to bake ulit.
thanks for the extra tips. i need that. i usually follow recipes to the letter on first try.
thank you so much!!!!

Unknown said...

one of this days, I'll try out your recipe ... wait ko lang may magbigay ulit kina dad ng apples para madami supply hehehe!