Friday, September 01, 2006

Migration = abandonment?

Ok, I had enough of this. Why are people so quick to judge? Why do people only listen to one opinion and not understand and RESPECT an individual's choice?

Why is nationalism and patriotism relegated to staying home in the Philippines and supporting several dramas called coup de etat and political impeachment!??!?! Why can't people make their own choices and decide to live their lives and grow and be left at that - without other people attaching all these hurtful words?!?!?!

http://opinion.inq7.net/inquireropinion/letterstotheeditor/view_article.php?article_id=18566

It wasn't the first time this kind of topic has been tackled. In fact, I remember, when I was new in Canada (2003), there was another editorial in this newspaper about "Doctors selling out." Just because people decide to live somewhere else does not mean we forget who we are. Why do people attack us (immigrants who chose to trail blaze our path and not wait for the next political instability and make something out of our lives) unjustly?

So what if we chose to live somewhere else. So what if we decide to work here for good and settle here. Does that mean we DON'T CARE about the Philippines anymore? So what if we wanted to have a respite from all the parody of Philippine politics? Is living somewhere else always equate to one's greed/selfishness and un-love for the homeland?

Do we have to tell everyone that we support Philippine causes abroad? Do we have to say that we volunteer in Habitat for Humanity or Gawad Kalinga or send some money to Tondo outreaches and support OPM artists by buying REAL CDs and not those pirated by those unscrupulous vendors in Greenhills? Do we have to shout to everyone that we still go home to the Philippines to support tourism and even pay hefty amount of money for a real piƱa silk for our gowns for the bridal party, etc...etc...etc....?

See, that's the sad part sometimes of being Filipinos. Instead of celebrating and relishing in the good things, most people are platinum subscribers to 'crab mentality' - and instead of helping people, supporting the community and help rebuild the country - we call each other names or talk back against one another.

I have always been asked before by some people who has NEVER ever been to Asia and has always lived in the Americas - about why would I decide to leave the tropics. One even said, but it doesn't snow there - you must always be wearing tank tops! (Duh!!!!)

I have, in many occasions, bragged about my country. How the normal (not political) people are generally polite, friendly, helpful, generous (yes, mapagbigay!) and prayerful. It's true the state it's in is not in the best form - but on a general sense, and if the political system is different (no crooks, no cronies, but a just, swift justice system, no 'lagay' mentality and real hardworking politicians) - I would have stuck it out. I still believe that there is more compassion among Pinoys and we can stand united if only the leaders can put first the 'nation' more than their what's-in-it-for-me mentality.

Immigrants were critized for jumping ship. Doctors apparently fled the Philippines in order to become nurses in the US. Teachers came caregivers in Canada, Korea, HK, etc. If leaders understand the demographics, economics and social current of the Philippines - won't they know the reasons why they (we) did this?

It's true that there is some form of greediness in that decision (to move out and live and work somewhere else) - but isn't it human need to fulfill the basic physiological need - and that, in Maslow's Hierarchy of Need - includes food, shelter, clothing - if the perception of one Pinoy is that, I am not getting it here (Phils), isn't it wise and even better off, if that kababayan decided to explore other areas so that these needs are fulfilled - rather than resort to crimes and crony-ism? Therefore, not become part of the social issues that always plaguing our dailies and news?

Those people who continue to attack the immigrants - I wonder what the real motive of the newspiece is all about. People say it's envy. In my opinion, there is envy, disgust and guilt. Disgust because they are still home and can't do anything about it; Guilt - because probably, deep inside their very souls - they want to move out too - but they just can't eat their words.

I did not abandon Pilipinas. I just chose to live my being Filipino somewhere else.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn'a agree more. I wanted to write this piece, you beat me to it! And u did a great job, much better than my would-be piece for sure! Hahahhaha...

Now I am off to that link you posted!

donotcallmeginee.blogdrive.com

Marj and Carlos said...

Amen to what you said.