Tuesday, September 18, 2007

(I'm) Alive and kicking!

The past weeks were a whirl of things.

We had a quiet celebration of my birthday in an Asian buffet dinner by Panorama Hills. We got caught up in a lot of traffic on the 22nd that Joaquin (my 3 y/o nephew) was already singing my birthday song as soon as he saw me enter the restaurant. He couldn't wait to eat! lol

It was busy, busy, busy.... and the 31st of August was our last day at our 'old' place. Everything was good except that we again went behind with cleaning of the blinds. Those dang aluminum blinds are a pain to clean as no matter how much vacuuming or washing you do, the dust just won't go away!!!! Everything was spic and span except for that - ugh! and for that, we won't get the full damage deposit. Oh well....

We were homeless for the first week of September - and that's why on B's birthday, we were at my other sister's place to celebrate and have some BBQ for his party. He was a happy camper though because he had ice cream (hockey) cake! ;)

All throughout this situation too, at work, I was stationed at our new campus. So, yeah, I was moving from our house and moving towards a new place at work too. To say that I'm beat with all these moving stuff is totally an understatement. And, I hate living in boxes!!!!

That being said, I was sick, sick, sick and I was living on Contac-C and peppermint tea and I was trying to sleep so I can gain some energy back. As fate would have it, a day prior to our big move, I got better but B had a bad back.

By the 7th, B ended up orchestrating the move from the U-Haul while I, Dale (our very fine neighbour who decided to step up upon hearing that B had a bad back), and my bro-in-law I helped me moved the boxes. Sheesh - that's like a year's worth of exercise!!!!

By 1pm, we're all set at New Brighton. Dang, we have a cute house!!!! (Promise, once I found the cords to download the pictures, I'll upload them for you guys to see).

Needless to say, there were a few hitches:
1. The front doorbell is missing - the siding guy sealed it - duh!!! The back doorbell works though. lol (It will be fixed, for sure!!!)
2. The pocket door for the half bath was screwed - the painters did something with it that it locks unnecessarily - so this will be fixed as well.
3. We have an issue with the electrical on the bedrooms. We did get a small lecture/how-to's on the final walk thru about this - but until we're there, we didn't realize the extent of this ' fire measure'. So, we are hoping to hear from the Project Manager about it as the lamps don't work yet in the bedrooms! :( It worked everywhere EXCEPT in the bedrooms - duh!! in fairness, the alarm clock works so I guess that's good too.
4. Others are cosmetic - like the paint job on the exterior of the roofing. It has to be touched up as maybe the one doing the painting had height issues - he didn't realize that some of the colours are out of bounds. (this was my greatest pet peeve initially so thank goodness for a 2-month post-occupancy walk thru).
5. Tiling by the raised bar - has to be re-done as after they fixed the countertops, they didn't realize that the tiles were not properly aligned. Geez!!!!

We're about 90% functioning so I think it's still pretty good considering we only had 4 days to fix everything up.

We had our house blessing/warming last Saturday too. (Excited ba??!?!! lol) Well, we thought, while we're at it, we might as well have everything crammed in so by this week, we have some sort of normalcy at home. So last Saturday too, we had our Magi-seal lady (the rep who'd treat our sofa and dining room chairs) come in, together with the interior designer who will do our window treatments.

So yeah, we're using IKEA roman shades to cover our bedrooms and the living room windows for the time-being. Funny that very few people noticed that it's 'temporary'. lol They thought it blended well with the whole 'look' of the house. It was just white but we thought it worked just fine - as our window treatments won't be coming in till about 8 weeks!!!

Fr. Krys blessed our home. He made up for what was lost when last year, he could not do the ceremony of our wedding. He was a lot of fun and he loved the kids - so really, what should have been a 7pm house blessing turned out to be an 8pm appointment with all the chit-chats. :)

We are home, friends. And, it's awesome to be in it!!! :)

3 comments:

mai said...

Belated Happy Birthday Weng!

Wow fixing up your house how exciting (and fun)!! Please post photos

flowerdrumsong said...

Thanks Mia! :) Yes, it's truly exciting (and expensive, lol!!!) I would post the photos once we found the cords to upload the pictures. And, I know you're good with interiors - so you're .02 will be appreciated!!!! :)

Marj and Carlos said...

Belated happy bday and congratualtions on moving into the new house! Pictures naman tapos on to the next project :D