Friday, February 12, 2010

Self-talk.

Thanks to Anna's last comment last time - I got to think about blogging again. Actually, I've always been hoping to blog but I never got to - or should I say, I have set other priorities first that I literally have just not made the extra time to do it. So what now? What made me write again this time?

Really, it's this one nagging thought that I had that emanated from a water-cooler discussion I had with one co-worker. My Chinese co-worker asked me - "How do you feel about going home? Do you feel that you still belong (in your home country)?"

Wow - that word - belong. I must admit, I must have quipped a smarty pants answer but that thought lingered and long after that short question. Do I feel that after 6 years of being away - that I still belong? I thought that was an honest and really simple question but for some reason, I can't seem to have one honest and simple answer.

I thought it was nice to visit, see and meet up with friends, eat the food that you miss or have hankering for, but I think deep down - something is amiss and some things have gone quite awry. I think that's what bothers me the most - that things are not as what I hoped them to be or wished things to be - like friendships.

Over the past years that I have gone home - I have this great anticipation of having to see old friends and just connecting but the depth and level of communication has gone several notches down. It was majorly different - maybe because there is not much nurturing going on (like girl dates, tea time sessions, chicka dates) but also because I felt that their world is entirely different than mine now. Odd, but I felt that some of the 'cares' that they are so involved with are not entirely the same kind of 'concerns' I'd have just because our lifestyles have become so different and it starts with the types of priorities they put in life as well.

Example: Someone made a comment about how being domesticated (meaning being a home-maker) means opting to do trivial things like cooking healthily and having your house cleaned up and that gardening is meant for old people. Seriously!?!?! I thought that was a stupid thought and I blurted - well, see, where I am - those are just the facts of life because if nobody (neither you nor the husband) will be doing those chores then you're going down the pits - just because back home, the norm is the chores and other duties are meant for the maid/nanny and NOT for the working wife/mom. Was I out of line? Was that rude? Maybe I did change too - because I thought what others regard as "low" and 'beneath them' is actually just the right things to do and I won't have it any other way. Sure, it would be nice to have a maid - but really - I probably will still be making the meals and will make sure that I will be looking after my kids (if we are going to be blessed with at least one!).

I know that nothing is permanent in this world. But all too often, I still believe in 'for keeps' because I still have a few people who I regard very highly and while we might have opposing views on things - a great deal of the values are basically the same still. It's just too bad that they seem to be vanishing and getting lesser and lesser every time. :(

Then, there is this whole tangent on the social and political arena which I'm not even going to belabour as there is no middle ground here as well. I'm not going to lie - it irks me no end when I come home and I see the children out in the streets living in their push carts, the traffic being what it is despite huge sign boards (seriously, no discipline!!!) etc...etc... Why do people even wonder why the Philippines is not getting ahead? Sheesh - it's not just the politicos, but really - the kinds of people we are - that's what's setting us back - maybe not everyone is like that - but a great majority just seems to be lost in their own world - thinking that things will change if they don't do anything about it.

There is a great chasm that divides the social status and it shows - that's what upsets me. I love my home-country but I think that it is in need of serious repair and help. I think I read before about a Korean student writing an essay about the Philippines (that we don't love our country) - and you know, sad as it may seem - there is some truth to that. There is a great majority of people back home who just puts their interest FIRST before anything else - and the vulnerable - the kids, the abandoned, those living in poverty - are the ones who experience all these blows.

Caring for the environment is nil. Gosh, we can't even find one single recycling area or receptacle anywhere in the whole dang metropolis except maybe in a mall somewhere in Makati... People litter or just don't give a damn. Sorry, but these things do infuriate me - people with babies and they smoke in front of them and then, their cigarette butts just flicked everywhere - and not disposed of properly... tama ba yan!?!?!

I think I'm brainwashed and I guess I'm accustomed to certain things - based on the standards of where I am. Does that make me right? Maybe not. But the ones I mentioned above - am I over-reacting to what I saw? Was I being a drama queen when I stated my point about women taking over their household and that women who do this are perceived to be 'beneath' a standard? Maybe then, that Chinese co-worker of mine and I are riding the same boat - because she did feel the same way I felt - only I did not admit it right to her face.

And frankly, I'm still mulling about it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm so glad you're back!
...i feel the same way. i feel my heart is in 2 places. but i realised i can't go back to the life i've lived before i left for the UK. i have changed. and part of me wished everyone else has changed with me.
...i am against having maids. even if i am in manila and can afford it. to have a stranger living with you. and to have someone at your beck and call, i feel it's demeaning to them. and yes, i feel empowered to say i can work full time and keep my house in order (or learn to be happy with the mess).
...i still want to go home at some point. to learn from there again and to impart what i have learned here.
grabe haba na ng comment ko -- alandana.wordpress.com (nag-eerror kasi when i put in an ID)

PM said...

hi weng! glad to read a new post here. anyway, i completely agree with you here. when we have helpers at home, it doesn't mean that we shouldn't lift a finger anymore. i can go on and on about this topic, but basically, they are just there to help out, not run the household.

and yes, i also agree that we do not love our country. we do not take pride in our country. it is so infuriating to see that we remain so backward. but i still have hope for the people. i just pray that a big change happens in my lifetime.

Marj and Carlos said...

Whenever I go back to Manila although my friends are my friends to some degree there is a certain disconnect. They talk about incidents that I don't know about or what happened to another friend etc and sometimes I just can't jump in with the same sentiment as theirs.

It's weird, being away from the P.I. made me love my country more but because I am away I have become a stranger to it.

Whenever I go home, I try to put myself in a different mindset. Things are done differently there. It's neither a good thing or a bad thing but just the ways things are. As long as I remember that then it's okay.

Pia said...

can i repost your entry in its entirety since that's exactly how i feel too? LOL the friends i have back home are still friends but there's definitely a huge disconnect - like we can't exchange weekly menu plans and recipes for sure hahaha! it takes me a week or two to stop frowning about the phils. whenever i go back home. i always feel sad - either for myself for doing all household chores including baby chores, or for my friends or family in manila for not experiencing cooking meals and caring for a family 24/7.

mai said...

I know how you feel.

I always think about all the maids back home and when I read about how a lot of the people speak about *ungrateful* maids etc I always think about how they have been *condemned* to some sort of indentured servitude almost like they are lesser then those they work for. Prang they should be thankful for the scraps they get.

Have to admit I only saw things differently once I got older and moved away from the Phils and actually tried to do what would be 1/4 of their work myself. I cannot imagine how my disposition would be if I had to do their work from morning til evening, know I would probably do this till I died, and have to smile to my amo.

Hard to control being snarky when I hear people whining about how lousy the maids are.