Saturday, August 02, 2008

Pinoy classics.

You must be wondering if being married to a Canadian meant we don't eat Filipino food at home. Well, here is some proof that despite being in cowtown, classic Pinoy recipes are still dominant in our household.

Adobo is very much a standby food for something quick and easy but unfortunately, I don't have that in the show and tell. Instead, we have the wholesome tinola! ;) I love my soup and this chicken pinoy soup is something that we serve as much as we can. Since pechay is always gone by the time we hit the grocery store, I buy the greens on whatever I can get. Sometimes it's spinach, or the longer green bok choy, and today it's what we call Baguio cabbage. We were also lucky to have the chayote since we don't have green papaya here. And no, the little floating green leaves are not malunggay - they are our sweet marjoram from the herb garden. (Didn't I tell you that we have a whole year supply of this??? lol)




On weekends, we eat a full breakfast and I usually make corned beef hash. B's favorites though are the longganisa and tocino that we get from T&T supermarket (Asian market). As you can see on the picture, I have leftovers again (lol) - I baked the pancetta (Italian round bacon) and that's what you can find in the fried rice.



For dessert, I had the bottled stuff for halo-halo. And, unfortunately, I gobbled it up before I thought of taking pictures of it. :( But, I have one here for my comfort dessert treat. Frozen yogurt with pecans and dulce de leche from Williams-Sonoma. Truthfully, I am not fond of caramel type of sauce and I only got this because B loves it - so I tried it on my frozen delight and it was yummy!



If you are hungrier than ever, wait for my next kwento next week. We are leaving tomorrow for a quick getaway. We will hit the Strip of Las Vegas for a much deserved break!

No comments: