The cast was wonderful. Roger (who has a very strong semblance with Michael Buble but blonde-haired) was an awesome singer! I have to say, and this is because this is the 3rd time I'm watching this (2x in Manila) - that Heinz Winckler who did Roger Davis was a very apt choice for this role. His character shone and I had so much appreciation for his talent. I guess it's because he delivered that rebellious, I-hate-this-world-for-taking-the-love-of-my-life persona very well! He transitioned very well from being caught with his memories (for his first love "April" who died - which by the way, was never shown in the play) to slowly accepting love thru Mimi.
Mark Cohen's character was equally strong and Jed Resnick's rendition was very well received. In my opinion though, Jed as Mark although notable, was quite overshadowed by Heinz (Roger) this time around. In the movie version though, Anthony Rapp (Mark) was the clear "lead" - perhaps because he looked more 'seasoned' than the rough-looking Roger played by Adam Pascal. Jed was great but Heinz got me more hooked. ;)
On the girls' side, Mimi delivered solid performance save for a few flat tunes. Angel was as expected, most notable although I have trouble taking in the falsetto here and there in the tunes. However, Angel's choreography was impeccable - so good in fact, my mom - who I brought with me in the show as hubby is out of town - was so taken by him/her that she babbled about Angel all the rest of the time going home. :)
RENT's modern interpretation of survival, work, struggles and most of all - love always score the highest mark - and that's why I love it. It's a production for all types of people - Gen X in particular. And based on what I have seen tonight, I think Jonathan Larson's rock-opera does deliver the message. The women who were sniffling loudly behind us did not annoy me. I was secretly smiling - because I too, had to wipe off the tears as Act II drew to a close.
Thank you, Jonathan Larson wherever you are. Your legacy and strong, powerful message resonates in our heart.
"There's only us, there's only this. Forget regret, for life is yours to miss. No other road, no other way. No day but today."
And 525, 600 minutes... 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year? In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee. In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife. In 525,600 minutes - how do you measure a year in the life? How about love? How about love? How about love? Measure in love. Seasons of love.

The Benny-tour who performed in Calgary. (Performing the Vive La Vie Boheme)
Rent is saying farewell to Broadway but will stay etched in our hearts and minds for once upon a time, a rock-opera does tell a real-life, close-to-home, heart-wrenching story of love. Bravo to all the actors and production staff. Thank you for sharing RENT with us for the past 12 years!
2 comments:
wow! i love rent too, esp. the soundtrack. hope they stage it here again.
yes, the might re-stage it as it's drawing to a close... cheers! :)
Post a Comment